Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

"I'm not a saint, but do I have to be?"

My Mood: Amazed
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
biochick has a brilliant futurebiochick has a brilliant futurebiochick has a brilliant futurebiochick has a brilliant futurebiochick has a brilliant futurebiochick has a brilliant future

Awards Showcase
Forum Colour Wars Forum Profile Decorating Contest 
Total Awards: 2

Default Are YouTube personalities responsible for the actions of their viewers?

Alrighty, here's some backstory to this one before I hop on into the question.

On YouTube, people often make videos where they find other people's content online, and create videos adding their own commentaries over the content (so copyright isn't technically a issue here, under Fair Use). Usually, it's viral videos, or pictures of people doing weird or silly things.

Recently, a YouTube personality who makes these types of videos found the pictures of a 10 year old girl on Instagram, where the girl was apparently posting pictures that made others uncomfortable (pics taken with older celebs, pics where she aimed her butt at the camera; no nudity or illegal stuff). Upon posting the video, the YouTuber's viewers found her Instagram, and told the 10 year old girl that she should kill herself; that she was ugly; horrible, awful comments.

My questions is: can the YouTuber be blamed for the actions of the viewers, seeing as he was the one posting the original video, or is it the fault of the viewers for going beyond the video and bullying the child? Or, are the girl's parents at fault for not monitoring their 10 year old daughter's social media use, especially when she's under the age allowed for Instagram (13 being the allowed age)?

Notice: This Ad only show to guest, please register now to disappear !

- - - - - - - - -

Old 06-20-2016, 02:27 PM
Emerald Empress User
Points: 41,678, Level: 89 Points: 41,678, Level: 89 Points: 41,678, Level: 89
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Activity: 3.0% Activity: 3.0% Activity: 3.0%
Last Achievements

"Ehhhh"

Previous Username: dollsiluv
My Mood: Chatty
Mentioned: 175 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
nox is a mini celebritynox is a mini celebritynox is a mini celebritynox is a mini celebritynox is a mini celebritynox is a mini celebritynox is a mini celebritynox is a mini celebritynox is a mini celebritynox is a mini celebritynox is a mini celebrity

Awards Showcase
Forum Colour Wars Forum Profile Decorating Contest 
Total Awards: 2

Well, the way I see it is, can you really blame the youtuber when the 10 year old girl already posted that stuff? It was already out there where anyone can see it. And unless the youtuber specifically said "yo, this is their twitter, go post ugly comments to it" then I don't see why he should be blamed for posting the content. Because, technically speaking, it was already out there, on instagram, Anyone can stumble upon it. So, unless the youtube specifically sent the viewers there, they shouldn't be blamed for it. That's not saying the youtuber is 100% innocent here. He did take the pictures of the young girl, and I assume made fun at them and poked jokes? So, yeah, thats not right, but thats what youtubers tend to do. Is it morally wrong, alot of people would say yes, I would too. But unfortunately today, morals are just personal things people carry around that are at different levels for different people and aren't taken into account for a lot of things.

Now, the parents definitely should for not monitoring the little girl. The viewers are also at fault for taking it upon them selves.

It's an awful situation though. It sickens me how far some trolls will take it.

I really don't know if I made much sense lol.

♥Thank's Bex for the set ♥
Quote:

Take my love, take my land ♡ Take me where I cannot stand ♡ I don't care, I'm still free ♡ You can't take the sky from me ♡

1 members like this post.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:25 PM
Diva In Love
Points: 53,200, Level: 100 Points: 53,200, Level: 100 Points: 53,200, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 99.4% Activity: 99.4% Activity: 99.4%
Last Achievements

"To feel loved is wonderful feeling"

Previous Username: smannion79
My Mood: In Love
Mentioned: 487 Post(s)
Tagged: 64 Thread(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
smartinez79 is a mini celebritysmartinez79 is a mini celebritysmartinez79 is a mini celebritysmartinez79 is a mini celebritysmartinez79 is a mini celebritysmartinez79 is a mini celebritysmartinez79 is a mini celebritysmartinez79 is a mini celebritysmartinez79 is a mini celebritysmartinez79 is a mini celebritysmartinez79 is a mini celebrity

Awards Showcase
Forum Colour Wars Blog Contests Blog Contests F-A-T Team Winners Award 
Total Awards: 15

no

leabel88

Old 06-20-2016, 04:12 PM
Community Moderator
Points: 65,484, Level: 100 Points: 65,484, Level: 100 Points: 65,484, Level: 100
Activity: 99.3% Activity: 99.3% Activity: 99.3%
Last Achievements

"whatever is good, let your mind dwell on it"

My Mood: Breezy
Mentioned: 1079 Post(s)
Tagged: 95 Thread(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
bittey is a mini celebritybittey is a mini celebritybittey is a mini celebritybittey is a mini celebritybittey is a mini celebritybittey is a mini celebritybittey is a mini celebritybittey is a mini celebritybittey is a mini celebritybittey is a mini celebritybittey is a mini celebrity

Awards Showcase
2015 March Madness Superstar 2015 Winter Wonderland Winner: Team Penguin 30 Day Forum Challenge Winner All Tasks Completed DC Adventures 
Total Awards: 8

WOW! It is horrible how some people take every opportunity to be cruel, mean, and ugly.

Yes, parents should monitor their children but some of these young people are so savvy they get around their parents and get into some really bad situations.

No, You cannot hold the YouTube personality responsible for their viewers but you can hold them responsible for presenting negative, bullying, or hateful material.

Siggy by Hippie_Chick
"Whatever is good, honorable, just, and right; Let your mind dwell on these"

Old 06-22-2016, 04:48 PM
Co-owner of the BB guild!
Points: 37,068, Level: 84 Points: 37,068, Level: 84 Points: 37,068, Level: 84
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Activity: 99.6% Activity: 99.6% Activity: 99.6%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

"The problems of today will eventually become the problems of yesterday. Keep moving on.."

My Mood: Happy
Mentioned: 1060 Post(s)
Tagged: 111 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
jennamazingg is a mini celebrityjennamazingg is a mini celebrityjennamazingg is a mini celebrityjennamazingg is a mini celebrityjennamazingg is a mini celebrityjennamazingg is a mini celebrityjennamazingg is a mini celebrityjennamazingg is a mini celebrityjennamazingg is a mini celebrityjennamazingg is a mini celebrityjennamazingg is a mini celebrity

Awards Showcase
Forum Profile Decorating Contest 3rd Place 2014 Design a Holiday Dress 2nd Place 2014 Holiday Mad Libs 3rd Place 2014 Decorate an Ornament 
Total Awards: 6

No, no, no and no! Everyone is responsible for their own actions. Period.
You can't know what someone's going to do, based on something that you say and/or do! It's just not possible.. & none of us can go through life, living in like a bubble, afraid we'll be blamed because someone else does something and says it's because of something we did or said. What kind of world would that be? We can't be responsible for the actions of others. Everyone has to take responsibility for their own actions.

Thanks Bex, for the beautiful set!

Old 06-22-2016, 06:25 PM
Emerald Empress User
Last Achievements

"If I'm dead, do I still have a mind?"

Previous Username: ashbee
My Mood: Inspired
Mentioned: 563 Post(s)
Tagged: 106 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3832 Post(s)
ocean_crumbles has disabled reputation

Awards Showcase
Forum Colour Wars Blog Contests 30 Day Forum Challenge Winner Congeniality  Award 
Total Awards: 37

The way I see things is that a person who is mentally capable shouldn't be able to blame their actions on someone else. In the end of the day someone on youtube is just a person on youtube and what they say wouldnt have an influence on a person who had a normal state of mind who could think reasonable. If a person uses a youtube personality as an excuse to do something bad then the blame is on the person letting youtube ve the reason. Someone cannot account for all the people in the world. It is like saying maybe I shouldn't say this joke on divachix because maybe someone will take it out of context. You cannot limit yourself because of the possible what ifs. Yu cannot limit your free speech just because some people are insane. I hate the word insane but I couldnt think of a better word for it.
I think ways to look at it is when you say something look at how would a person who acts to this are they a reasonable person, and are they being objective? I am sure there is a bigger test involved.
But I don't believe that youtube personalities are responsible with what people do with what they say. Do you believe that celebrities are responsible for people's actions? Role models?

The only time I can see them being responsible is if they have a huge following and actively tell them to do something. But if they're not out there telling them to do something then I don't see them as responsible.

Please be aware that I no longer play the game. I check the forums every now and then out of habit so if you see me around feel free to message

Old 06-22-2016, 06:36 PM
Emerald Empress User
Last Achievements

Awards Showcase
Forum Colour Wars Blog Contests 30 Day Forum Challenge Winner Congeniality  Award 

Whos the youtube personlaity?

Please be aware that I no longer play the game. I check the forums every now and then out of habit so if you see me around feel free to message

Old 06-23-2016, 07:23 PM
Clothing & Design Moderator
Points: 160,571, Level: 100 Points: 160,571, Level: 100 Points: 160,571, Level: 100
Last Achievements

""Be the change you want to see in the world""

Previous Username: stylitah
My Mood: Yeehaw
Mentioned: 620 Post(s)
Tagged: 55 Thread(s)
Quoted: 737 Post(s)
fox is a mini celebrityfox is a mini celebrityfox is a mini celebrityfox is a mini celebrityfox is a mini celebrityfox is a mini celebrityfox is a mini celebrityfox is a mini celebrityfox is a mini celebrityfox is a mini celebrityfox is a mini celebrity

Awards Showcase
Most changed over the past year Forum Colour Wars Prom Table Activities Partners Post-a-Thon 
Total Awards: 4

None of them. Society is guilty. Is guilty for making a 10yo wanting to do adult crazy stuff. Guilty to make people think it's okay to stupid enough and make those crazy attitudes go viral or whatever. Guilty for allowing bashing, undermining and agressive behaviour get to a 10yo.

avi and siggy by me (rofl)
battle or befriend
"Humour saves patience, which saves love, which saves the whole world!"

Old 06-24-2016, 04:13 AM
Emerald Empress User
Last Achievements

Awards Showcase

How can you blame society? @fox

Old 07-01-2016, 09:26 PM
Platinum User
Points: 11,835, Level: 47 Points: 11,835, Level: 47 Points: 11,835, Level: 47
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Activity: 2.5% Activity: 2.5% Activity: 2.5%
Last Achievements

My Mood: Cheerful
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
minidoxigirli is a mini celebrityminidoxigirli is a mini celebrityminidoxigirli is a mini celebrityminidoxigirli is a mini celebrityminidoxigirli is a mini celebrityminidoxigirli is a mini celebrityminidoxigirli is a mini celebrityminidoxigirli is a mini celebrityminidoxigirli is a mini celebrityminidoxigirli is a mini celebrityminidoxigirli is a mini celebrity

There's a big gap between "societally culpable" and "legally responsible" for me. Should anyone be held legally responsible, AKA thrown in jail, for their followers' actions? Absolutely not. If some teen kills themselves or others because of a video on Youtube, the video maker should not be thrown in jail at all. Should they be vilified, and/or views as a bad person? Probably!

Old 07-06-2016, 07:12 AM
Forum Moderator
Points: 322,818, Level: 100 Points: 322,818, Level: 100 Points: 322,818, Level: 100
Last Achievements

"Meet me where the cliff greets the sea"

My Mood: In Love
Mentioned: 585 Post(s)
Tagged: 152 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
vasordiel is a mini celebrityvasordiel is a mini celebrityvasordiel is a mini celebrityvasordiel is a mini celebrityvasordiel is a mini celebrityvasordiel is a mini celebrityvasordiel is a mini celebrityvasordiel is a mini celebrityvasordiel is a mini celebrityvasordiel is a mini celebrityvasordiel is a mini celebrity

Awards Showcase
Graphic Battle Royale Oscars 2013 Snowball Fight Mystery Costume Siggy 

I find this topic very interesting. Legally speaking, the youtuber would only be held responsible if they instigated their viewers to take action against the girl, or if they provided personal data of hers. Now, if they only used material that she made public for anyone to see, the second option wouldn't apply. If they instigated their audience or not would be for the judge/jury to determine. I can't speak for every country because I don't know every law, but this would be a general approach.

Now ethically speaking... Who makes a video making fun of a 10 year old? That alone is not right. What's more, a youtuber with many followers knows their audience and their repercussion. From past experience, they can definitely guess how their viewers are going to react. So I think they would know that some of their viewers would want to find the girl and make fun of her (I'm not saying they should expect a mass reaction, but yes a certain number of people because, let's be honest, Internet is dark and full of trolls). And yet, knowing that, they did the video anyway, because it was fun. Well, not for the girl.

I agree with the others who said that the society we have created makes kids do things they really shouldn't. They learn by imitation; some things like playing mums and dads are harmless, others like posting inappropriate pics or twerking might not be, but that's a whole different debate. And sadly, closely monitoring what kids do on a computer is not that easy for some parents, an older kid (such as this girl) can definitely find a way to circumvent restrictions.

Set by Bex <3
February 16th official Minitz day ♥

2 members like this post.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:57 AM
Clothing & Design Moderator
Points: 160,571, Level: 100 Points: 160,571, Level: 100 Points: 160,571, Level: 100
Last Achievements

""Be the change you want to see in the world""

Previous Username: stylitah
My Mood: Yeehaw
Mentioned: 620 Post(s)
Tagged: 55 Thread(s)
Quoted: 737 Post(s)
fox is a mini celebrityfox is a mini celebrityfox is a mini celebrityfox is a mini celebrityfox is a mini celebrityfox is a mini celebrityfox is a mini celebrityfox is a mini celebrityfox is a mini celebrityfox is a mini celebrityfox is a mini celebrity

Awards Showcase
Most changed over the past year Forum Colour Wars Prom Table Activities Partners Post-a-Thon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasordiel View Post
I find this topic very interesting. Legally speaking, the youtuber would only be held responsible if they instigated their viewers to take action against the girl, or if they provided personal data of hers. Now, if they only used material that she made public for anyone to see, the second option wouldn't apply. If they instigated their audience or not would be for the judge/jury to determine. I can't speak for every country because I don't know every law, but this would be a general approach.

Now ethically speaking... Who makes a video making fun of a 10 year old? That alone is not right. What's more, a youtuber with many followers knows their audience and their repercussion. From past experience, they can definitely guess how their viewers are going to react. So I think they would know that some of their viewers would want to find the girl and make fun of her (I'm not saying they should expect a mass reaction, but yes a certain number of people because, let's be honest, Internet is dark and full of trolls). And yet, knowing that, they did the video anyway, because it was fun. Well, not for the girl.

I agree with the others who said that the society we have created makes kids do things they really shouldn't. They learn by imitation; some things like playing mums and dads are harmless, others like posting inappropriate pics or twerking might not be, but that's a whole different debate. And sadly, closely monitoring what kids do on a computer is not that easy for some parents, an older kid (such as this girl) can definitely find a way to circumvent restrictions.
Many likes on this!

avi and siggy by me (rofl)
battle or befriend
"Humour saves patience, which saves love, which saves the whole world!"