Diva Chix Forums  

Go Back   Diva Chix Forums > Contests > Divamour 11 - Lights...camera...design!
Blogs FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read Experience

User Tag List

Old 06-11-2018, 06:43 AM
Clothing & Design Moderator
Points: 90,308, Level: 100 Points: 90,308, Level: 100 Points: 90,308, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 99.9% Activity: 99.9% Activity: 99.9%
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

"Immerse your soul in love."

My Mood: Breezy
Mentioned: 1477 Post(s)
Tagged: 91 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
auntypat has disabled reputation

Awards Showcase
Staff Member of the Month Holiday Forum Awards 
Total Awards: 2

Default Phase 2

Divamour 11

Lights...camera...design!

Phase 2

On the set

Prizes designed by mata_hari

Your diva managed to get a job working on an upcoming movie! Show her in action! What is her role on the set? Is she in front or behind the camera?

For this phase you should not base your entry on an existing movie. Make one up instead

Layer requirements
Top&bottom/skirt or dress
Shoes (if visible)
Background
Prop
Accessories

Note: The layer requirements above are just a minimum. You may add more layers as you see fit.

Criteria for judging
Quality/shading
Accordance to theme
Originality

Entry form
Name:
Entry: (*)
Description (provide credit as necessary):
Layers:
Starting Bid:

(*) If a pose is included please add a picture of the pose alone.

Contestants:
@midnight_kiss
@swish
@Vergina
@glitterdarla
@cat58
@fox
@pandaimeec
@lembowitz
@loveneverfails

Judges
@griffysgirl
@mata_hari
@auntypat

DEADLINE OF SUBMISSION: June 17th, 2018 - 11:59PM EST

To keep in mind about scoring of quality/shading

Since no designer below the intermediate skill level is accepted as a contestant in Divamour we think that the lowest possible score on the scale should represent the lowest acceptable entry.
This will give the judges a larger range, and make it easier for us to score fairly.

This is how we will decide the score for each entry:

An outfit that is decent for regular/intermediate CYO will score a 1.
A good outfit without noticeable quality flaws will score a 5.
An absolutely flawless outfit will score a 10.

Good luck!

Note: This thread is for entries and judging only. Please post any questions or comments in the chitchat thread or send me a pm.

Notice: This Ad only show to guest, please register now to disappear !

Thank you EverDream!

Last edited by auntypat; 06-14-2018 at 03:40 AM.

3 members like this post.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:28 PM
Jet Setter User
Points: 9,184, Level: 41 Points: 9,184, Level: 41 Points: 9,184, Level: 41
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Activity: 56.2% Activity: 56.2% Activity: 56.2%
Last Achievements

My Mood: Busy
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
swish has disabled reputation

Name: Lani
Entry:

Discription: My diva has landed a job in a Sci-Fi Fantasy movie titled "Rain". She has been cast in the starring role as Masika (Swahili for "born on a rainy day"). Masika is an Elemental that controls the winds and storms. Her life was fraught with difficulties due to her powers. She had to learn to find peace within herself in order to manifest her full powers and control them.
Here we find them filming the scene where she is using her powers to bring the rains that the nearby villages so desparately need. (CGI added for your viewing pleasure)

Pose: Edited version of Veronica. Buyer will be gifted a copy.
Required layers: Top, skirt, shoes, background, prop( tornado, lightning, mist), accessory( horn vials)
Additional Layers: Face ( eyes closed, facial markings), hair, earrings (with nosering), beaded necklace, beaded bracelets, tattoo (leg, gold), shoes (gold sandals).
starting bid 250,000M 250 coins

Last edited by swish; 06-17-2018 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Small correction in description

10 members like this post.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:30 PM
Posting Princess
Points: 18,449, Level: 59 Points: 18,449, Level: 59 Points: 18,449, Level: 59
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Activity: 31.5% Activity: 31.5% Activity: 31.5%
Last Achievements

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
glitterdarla is a mini celebrityglitterdarla is a mini celebrityglitterdarla is a mini celebrityglitterdarla is a mini celebrityglitterdarla is a mini celebrityglitterdarla is a mini celebrityglitterdarla is a mini celebrityglitterdarla is a mini celebrityglitterdarla is a mini celebrityglitterdarla is a mini celebrityglitterdarla is a mini celebrity

Awards Showcase
Staff Member of the Month 
Total Awards: 1

Name: Darla
Entry:
Description: I decided to go with a costume designer for this phase. She is in the process of sewing garments for a new fantasy film with characters who possess magical powers stemming from elementals. I chose to have her dressed more comfortably, as she will be designing and sewing for many hours to help achieve the inspiration of the writers and directors with her magical garb.
Layers: Pose, face, hair, top, bottom, shoes, bracelet, background, accessory(sewing table), prop(stool/w folded fabric, thread and other sewing implaments)
Starting Bid: 500 coins 5,000,000M

Last edited by glitterdarla; 06-17-2018 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Altering entry

11 members like this post.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:15 PM
Hungry Bibliophile
Points: 701,085, Level: 100 Points: 701,085, Level: 100 Points: 701,085, Level: 100
Activity: 78.1% Activity: 78.1% Activity: 78.1%
Last Achievements

"Dreams don't chase themselves."

Previous Username: aimee0824
My Mood: Tired
Mentioned: 366 Post(s)
Tagged: 52 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
pandaimeec is a mini celebritypandaimeec is a mini celebritypandaimeec is a mini celebritypandaimeec is a mini celebritypandaimeec is a mini celebritypandaimeec is a mini celebritypandaimeec is a mini celebritypandaimeec is a mini celebritypandaimeec is a mini celebritypandaimeec is a mini celebritypandaimeec is a mini celebrity

Awards Showcase
1st Place 2014 Design a Holiday Dress Summer Spectacular 2011 Staff Member of the Month First Place 
Total Awards: 4

Default Phase 2

Entry form
Name: Aimee
Entry:

Description (provide credit as necessary):
My diva is a stunt double. I realized it's too close to being an actual actor halfway through but I wanted to depict another badass chick so here we are.. and here she is doing her thing at a motorbike chase scene. If the motorbike appears to be tilted, it is (that's part of the stunt ). I wanted my entry to be something like this (lol Tom Cruise.)
I know the doll is rather small. I originally wanted to make the pose like the reference photo I linked but that wouldn't show much of the outfit so I decided to go with a different angle. I also didn't draw the whole body for the same reason: her right leg would show if I did when it's supposed to be hidden when viewed at this angle.
P.S. my diva likes striking a balance between cute and tough (if such a combination exists), hence the pinks and hair buns coupled with the biker chick aura.
P.P.S. Seems like my entries are always in motion... I must love action
Layers: body (not exclusive, may be for my personal use), top, bottom, outerwear, bracelet (arm bandana), tattoo, necklace, hair, headwear (hair ties), face, glove, leggings, shoes/boots, prop (motorbike), accessory (light and speed effects), background.
Starting Bid: 2,000,000 moolah and 1,000 coins

Last edited by pandaimeec; 06-17-2018 at 02:59 AM.

11 members like this post.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:46 AM
Emerald Empress User
Points: 175,564, Level: 100 Points: 175,564, Level: 100 Points: 175,564, Level: 100
Activity: 90.4% Activity: 90.4% Activity: 90.4%
Last Achievements

My Mood: Lurking
Mentioned: 437 Post(s)
Tagged: 20 Thread(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Vergina is a mini celebrityVergina is a mini celebrityVergina is a mini celebrityVergina is a mini celebrityVergina is a mini celebrityVergina is a mini celebrityVergina is a mini celebrityVergina is a mini celebrityVergina is a mini celebrityVergina is a mini celebrityVergina is a mini celebrity

Name: Joyce
Entry:
Description: My diva has gotten a supporting role on a new fantasy movie. She's playing the magical queen of the forest and in this scene they're filming the part where she floats down from a tree to greet the main characters of the movie. It is filmed in front of a green screen; only the main tree has been build on set, the rest of the forest will be edited in later. She's slowly let down by cables, and a wind machine (outside this shot) blows softly to make it look like she's floating down to the ground.

Pose is 'Quinn' by Mannequin.
Layers: background, face, hair, dress, shoes, headwear, props (cables) & accessory (camera)
Starting bid: 250,000m & 250c

12 members like this post.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:49 AM
Points: 90,308, Level: 100 Points: 90,308, Level: 100 Points: 90,308, Level: 100
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Awards Showcase

Phase 2 is now closed. Scores will be posted asap. Stay tuned for phase 3.

Thank you EverDream!

Old 06-18-2018, 07:38 AM
Last Achievements
Award-Showcase

Awards Showcase

Awesome job on phase two ladies! I love the different takes on this theme! Let me know if you have questions about your scores.

___

Lani/Swish

Quality/shading: 6/10
Great improvement from last phase! I'm glad that you went with a more complex design here. Did you try a different shading method? The hair is still a bit blurry (actually the whole entry is) but it's looking better than last phase. I like that you added highlights. Keep working on it and I know that you'll improve greatly. The background looks like an expressionistic painting I really like it, but the grass under the doll could have done with some more detailed work. The face is good, but the eyes are a bit big and sligtly too low. This is going to sound funny since I said that the whole outfit is too blurry...but the tornado would actually look more alive and in movement with a little blurr to it.

According to theme: 6/10
There is really nothing to tell us that this is a movie set. She could as well actually be Masika rather than playing a role.

Originality: 9/10
I love the story you made up, and how you portrayed it.

Total score: 21/30

___

Darla/glitterdarla

Quality/shading: 9/10
Other than some wonky proportions (hands, feet, shoulder) and some lack in shading on the pose it is just lovely! And to be honest I don't mind the proportion irregularities. They create a unique style that together with the background and props make this entry really interesting.

Accordance to theme: 7/10
I wish there was something here to indicate that it is connected to the movies. The only thing that makes me think she is anything other than a regular seemstress is that the clothes in the background look more like costumes than ordinary clothes.

Originality: 10/10
Costume designer is a great idea that I hadn't even considered when we were talking about the possibilities of this theme.

Total score: 26/30

___

Aimee/pandaimeec

Quality/shading: 10/10
Gorgeous! I love the feel of speed and movement you created with the blurred road and her flying hair. Amazing shine and details on the bike and the light you created suits it all so well.

Again, I would have liked to see something to indicate that this is on the set of a movie. Just a camera in a corner or anything at all would have popped you up to a 10. Because the doll itself does look like a character from a movie (or a stunt double of one).

I don't think I've seen anything like this on DC. I love it, it's really unique!

Total score: 27/30

___

Joyce/Vergina

Quality/shading: 9/10
Oh this is so lovely! The hair and the tree trunk are wonderful! The only thing to comment is a slight stiffness to the dress and a little crookedness in her face. If you had made the dress with sheer layers it would have been perfect!

Accordance to theme: 10/10
YES! This is what I wanted!

Great idea with the cables! And the story is interesting, I'd love to see the movie

Total score: 28/30

Thank you EverDream!

2 members like this post.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:24 AM
Points: 480,676, Level: 100 Points: 480,676, Level: 100 Points: 480,676, Level: 100
Activity: 64.4% Activity: 64.4% Activity: 64.4%
Last Achievements

"I can be totally free on the beach, feeling the warm sand between my toes..."

My Mood: Goofy
Mentioned: 483 Post(s)
Tagged: 17 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
mata_hari has disabled reputation

Awards Showcase
Forum Profile Decorating Contest Forum Profile Decorating Contest 

Great job, Ladies. I am glad you managed to enter this phase. All entries are beautiful and so different. Here are my scores:

Lani @swish

Quality/shading: 6 Accordance to the theme: 6 Originality: 8

Another lovely entry, Lani. Your shading is a bit different compared to your first entry. I really like your top and background. Hair is nice too but I think it would look better if you added few layers of highlights with different opacity.

Your entry looks more like a scene from a movie rather than movie in the making. You would need to add some filming equipment or even just a movie clapperboard to score better here

Very nice story that would make a great movie. I would love to see it

Total: 20

Darla @glitterdarla

Quality/shading: 9 Accordance to the theme: 7 Originality: 9

Your entry is so beautiful! I love those small details of yor costumes and threads. The body is a little bit disproportionate but it is still very well done.

For this phase we asked you to show your doll on the set of the movie. Although I can see your doll looks like a costume designer I cant really see much set here. Maybe if you added some lamps/camera showing at the back it would score better.

Your idea for this phase was really original. I would not have picked it myself. Well done.

Total: 25

Aimee @pandaimeec

Quality/shading: 10 Accordance to the theme: 8 Originality: 10

Wonderful shading! Bike and movement effect are my favourite elements of your entry.

Although your doll looks like a stunt acctress the entry itself looks more like a scene from a movie rather then movie in the process of filming. If you added something to indicate she is on the set (like even just a shadow of camera somewhere?) you would have scored better.

Very original entry! and very well done. I can feel the speed of that bike

Total: 28

Joyce @Vergina

Quality/shading: 8,5 Accordance to the theme: 10 Originality: 9

Lovely shading, especially on your tree trunk. Gorgeous hair. It does look like she is floating down that tree. I think her dress would look better if it was more flowing to her feet and maybe made of sheer or silky fabric.

Your entry is the closest to the theme. Well done! She does look like she is in the middle of filming a movie.

You had a great idea for this phase and you chose a perfect pose for it. The camera screen and ropes/cables were a very good idea.

Total: 27,5

Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM
Points: 465,115, Level: 100 Points: 465,115, Level: 100 Points: 465,115, Level: 100
Activity: 13.7% Activity: 13.7% Activity: 13.7%
Last Achievements

My Mood: Happy
Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Tagged: 66 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
griffysgirl is a mini celebritygriffysgirl is a mini celebritygriffysgirl is a mini celebritygriffysgirl is a mini celebritygriffysgirl is a mini celebritygriffysgirl is a mini celebritygriffysgirl is a mini celebritygriffysgirl is a mini celebritygriffysgirl is a mini celebritygriffysgirl is a mini celebritygriffysgirl is a mini celebrity

Awards Showcase
Holiday Forum Member Awards 2 
Total Awards: 1

Name: Lani
Entry:

Quality/shading: 7/10
Accordance to theme: 9.5/10

I can see an improvement in your shading from your last entry!! Very good it's what this competition is about. I would have loved to seen the same depth in highlight/shading that you have in the top in this carried out in the skirt, some low lights would have helped with some defined highlights. But still much more dimension in this entry compared to last. The jewelry is well done. You did a good job bringing the movie to life here. Your concept comes through nicely. One minor thing that may be just my opinion but I find the haze on the top layer takes away from your doll. When I do these top layer hazes I tend to take a soft eraser at a low capacity and I erase spots strategically so they are there but faint so the doll shines through without losing the effect. Hope that makes sense

Name: Darla
Entry:

Quality/shading: 7/10

Ok I go back and forth on this one... I feel like I love it if I look at like maybe a character out of an animated movie. It feels more cartoon than realistic so if this was a character on a animated movie about a costume designer... this is absolutely perfect! However that was not the challenge nor by your description do I think it was the intention. Detailing.... you are always spot on... so many little details in your work which I adore about your work. I enjoy the jeans and the details put into the costumes... Shading tho does feel cartoonish and the head/body are not quite proportional which lends to the cartoon feel. Overall I like this a lot, just feel it missed the mark of the challenge a hair.

Entry form
Name: Aimee
Entry:

Quality/shading: 9.5/10
Accordance to theme: 9.5/10

Miss Aimee.... I said I was going to be ultra picky on you because your talent level so here we go

Ok my last comments said entry felt to animated however in your case you were going for an animation film so acceptable. Very well thought out... I like the blurring to indicate movement and the details, though I tried very hard to find something to criticize, are very well done. I've really only 3 VERY MINOR things that draw my eye to them...

1. shadowed side face seems bit muddy
2. the front tire of the bike (beautiful bike btw) doesn't seem on the road. Don't think a wheely was intended.
3. The way the leg rests, there's no foot rest like she just hanging it there. and girl be burnin her leg on that motor

That's it... that's me picking fly sh#t out of pepper on you.

Name: Joyce
Entry:

Quality/shading: 9.5/10
Accordance to theme: 10/10

YESSS!!!! I was hoping someone would think to green screen this baby!! Ok green screen yes I get it... not a lot of detail and seems easy way out BUT lets face it... it's the stuff of magic baby AND a huge part of most movies now days... I like the added viewing screen nice touch, one I would have not thought of myself. So good job there! Conceptually...

I like the shading technique on the dress (guessing you used layered filters here), at first glance I wasn't sure but to put this shading in the scene of a forest to have the burnt look kind of fits so nicely done there. I do agree for a floating figure the dress feels heavy which easily could be adjusted just by taking the current drawing and making some of it transparent, fade your transparency from the bottom into the bodice so she stays lady like . The green vines or leaves that are on her if you were going for a natural look the greens a little deep but not sure if that's what you were going for.

I personally like the almost crooked face kind of gives her a smirk feeling like she knows something we don't and the hair and the tree

This round this is my favorite entry.