Diva Chix Forums  

Go Back   Diva Chix Forums > News & Updates > Staff Lounge
Blogs FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read Experience

User Tag List

Old 09-03-2017, 09:44 AM
Security Supervisor
Senior Community Moderator
Guild Moderator
Points: 119,639, Level: 100 Points: 119,639, Level: 100 Points: 119,639, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 84.4% Activity: 84.4% Activity: 84.4%
Last Achievements

"That's not how it works, that's not how any of this works..."

My Mood: Confused
Mentioned: 1902 Post(s)
Tagged: 55 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
fashionchallenged is a mini celebrityfashionchallenged is a mini celebrityfashionchallenged is a mini celebrityfashionchallenged is a mini celebrityfashionchallenged is a mini celebrityfashionchallenged is a mini celebrityfashionchallenged is a mini celebrityfashionchallenged is a mini celebrityfashionchallenged is a mini celebrityfashionchallenged is a mini celebrityfashionchallenged is a mini celebrity

Awards Showcase
Graphics Gauntlet 3rd place Staff Member of the Month Staff Member of the Month Forum Profile Decorating Contest 
Total Awards: 9

Default Socially Awkward and Fashion Challenged

Hi, I had one of these threads, but it seems to have been deleted. So here we go.

Married, for almost 30 years. Two cats, both male. Live in Florida almost all of my life. Majored in Math and worked in data analysis and computer programming.
I have an older sister, a younger brother and the 2 cutest nieces ever (a little biased).
favorite color is midnight blue, I prefer wearing jeans and sneakers, tshirts or henleys, and hoodies (also have trouble color coordinating...)

I enjoy:
puzzles (number puzzles, logic puzzles, word puzzles, jigsaw puzzles - in that order)
making jewelry (bead stringing, macramé, a little wire wrapping, ...)
TV (an assortment from campy horror like Z Nation and Stan Against Evil to British detective shows like Midsomer Murder and Shetland to comedy like Full Frontal and Monty Python)
walks and hiking (prefer parks and waterfalls - when I walk in my neighborhood I change my route a lot)
chocolate (dark or 3 muskateers - don't usually like things in my chocolate though bite sized twix is amazing)
Mello Yello (not mountain dew, though I prefer Pepsi to Coke)
Music (a little all over the place - Michael Buble, AC/DC, Julie London, Metallica, Gary Allen, The Turtles, Sean Paul, the Monkees, Fergie, Shakira, Jo Dee Messina, ...)

Notice: This Ad only show to guest, please register now to disappear !

Last edited by fashionchallenged; 09-13-2017 at 01:10 PM.

1 members like this post.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:53 PM
Bronze User
Points: 138,753, Level: 100 Points: 138,753, Level: 100 Points: 138,753, Level: 100
Activity: 84.6% Activity: 84.6% Activity: 84.6%
Last Achievements

My Mood: Angelic
Mentioned: 370 Post(s)
Tagged: 69 Thread(s)
Quoted: 923 Post(s)
cat58 is a mini celebritycat58 is a mini celebritycat58 is a mini celebritycat58 is a mini celebritycat58 is a mini celebritycat58 is a mini celebritycat58 is a mini celebritycat58 is a mini celebritycat58 is a mini celebritycat58 is a mini celebritycat58 is a mini celebrity

Awards Showcase
1st Place 2014 Holiday Dress Up Staff Member of the Month Mystery Costume Siggy 
Total Awards: 3

I hope you got to a safe place before Irma hit!

I like your fluffy cats. Mine never gains any weight, she has weighed the same for the 12 years I've had her.

Do you remember punch cards? I don't know when they went out of use, but I remember them being used for drop/add in college.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:31 AM
Security Supervisor
Guild Moderator
Points: 119,639, Level: 100 Points: 119,639, Level: 100 Points: 119,639, Level: 100
Last Achievements

fashionchallenged is a mini celebrityfashionchallenged is a mini celebrityfashionchallenged is a mini celebrityfashionchallenged is a mini celebrityfashionchallenged is a mini celebrityfashionchallenged is a mini celebrityfashionchallenged is a mini celebrityfashionchallenged is a mini celebrityfashionchallenged is a mini celebrityfashionchallenged is a mini celebrityfashionchallenged is a mini celebrity

Awards Showcase
Graphics Gauntlet 3rd place Staff Member of the Month Staff Member of the Month Forum Profile Decorating Contest 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat58 View Post
I hope you got to a safe place before Irma hit!

I like your fluffy cats. Mine never gains any weight, she has weighed the same for the 12 years I've had her.

Do you remember punch cards? I don't know when they went out of use, but I remember them being used for drop/add in college.
I am at my dad's in NE Georgia right now. Getting some wind and rain today from the northern most bands of Irma but shouldn't be too bad.

Husband hunkered down, but outside of no power, it wasn't too bad. (And he planned to be out of power for a few days so he is all set - planning on grilling tomorrow or Wednesday.)

Cats were a little overweight and ended up on a diet. But they are off of it now. (That picture is at almost 3 years old).

I do remember punch cards. Been a while. By the time I got into programming they were not being used anymore (that was a later career shift). But they were used in registration at school (my part time job while at the junior college). Probably a lot more behind the scenes, too.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:17 PM
Bronze User
Points: 138,753, Level: 100 Points: 138,753, Level: 100 Points: 138,753, Level: 100
Activity: 84.6% Activity: 84.6% Activity: 84.6%
Last Achievements

My Mood: Angelic
Mentioned: 370 Post(s)
Quoted: 923 Post(s)
cat58 is a mini celebritycat58 is a mini celebritycat58 is a mini celebritycat58 is a mini celebritycat58 is a mini celebritycat58 is a mini celebritycat58 is a mini celebritycat58 is a mini celebritycat58 is a mini celebritycat58 is a mini celebritycat58 is a mini celebrity

Awards Showcase
1st Place 2014 Holiday Dress Up Staff Member of the Month Mystery Costume Siggy 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionchallenged View Post
I am at my dad's in NE Georgia right now. Getting some wind and rain today from the northern most bands of Irma but shouldn't be too bad.

Husband hunkered down, but outside of no power, it wasn't too bad. (And he planned to be out of power for a few days so he is all set - planning on grilling tomorrow or Wednesday.)

Cats were a little overweight and ended up on a diet. But they are off of it now. (That picture is at almost 3 years old).

I do remember punch cards. Been a while. By the time I got into programming they were not being used anymore (that was a later career shift). But they were used in registration at school (my part time job while at the junior college). Probably a lot more behind the scenes, too.
Fall of 1978. Transferred to state university from junior college. This is what drop/add looked like: the course you want is not avaiable at the time you want to take it, so you stand in a loooong line (I brought a book) and hope that somebody dropped the class you want before you get to the head of the line (and that somebody else doesn't get it first). These courses were represented by punch cards. I honestly don't remember what we did with the punch cards once we got them. Take it to the registrar? That seems logical.

Nowadays, of course, it's very different. It's done by computer, and instantaneous.

I'm glad you and the family and the kitties are safe. I know thinner cats are healthier, but fat cats sure are cute! Mine gets to go outside, which I'm sure helps keep the weight down. She loves being an indoor/outdoor kitty.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:01 PM
Security Supervisor
Guild Moderator
Last Achievements

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat58 View Post
Fall of 1978. Transferred to state university from junior college. This is what drop/add looked like: the course you want is not avaiable at the time you want to take it, so you stand in a loooong line (I brought a book) and hope that somebody dropped the class you want before you get to the head of the line (and that somebody else doesn't get it first). These courses were represented by punch cards. I honestly don't remember what we did with the punch cards once we got them. Take it to the registrar? That seems logical.

Nowadays, of course, it's very different. It's done by computer, and instantaneous.

I'm glad you and the family and the kitties are safe. I know thinner cats are healthier, but fat cats sure are cute! Mine gets to go outside, which I'm sure helps keep the weight down. She loves being an indoor/outdoor kitty.
Sister's power has been on and off. Assume husband still out of power (should be turning his phone off to conserve power - we turned off the landline). We lost power up here last night but it was only off 12 hours (the rain hasn't been hard but the ground is wet and trees tend to give way, so even after the storm has passed they are having trees take out power lines).

The one cat likes to go outside but wants one of his humans nearby and wants to come in to A/C when he gets too hot or when he is hungry (tends to just sit there, though sometimes he wants to take a little walk - doesn't get a lot of exercise). The other likes to be outside as long as there are no other humans that can see him (or that he can hear) - he is a scaredy cat.

Edit: looks like husband should have power back by Saturday...

Last edited by fashionchallenged; 09-13-2017 at 01:10 PM.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:08 PM
Emerald Empress User
Last Achievements

"If I'm dead, do I still have a mind?"

Previous Username: ashbee
My Mood: Inspired
Mentioned: 563 Post(s)
Tagged: 106 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3836 Post(s)
ocean_crumbles has disabled reputation

Awards Showcase
Forum Colour Wars Blog Contests 30 Day Forum Challenge Winner Congeniality  Award 
Total Awards: 37

Hey ^_^ I am glad to hear that you were out of harms reach. I have some simple questions for you.
If you could only go backwards to a time that you had experienced, where would you go and why?

What's one quote that you live by? What does it mean?

Please be aware that I no longer play the game. I check the forums every now and then out of habit so if you see me around feel free to message

Old 09-13-2017, 01:32 PM
Security Supervisor
Guild Moderator
Last Achievements

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean_crumbles View Post
Hey ^_^ I am glad to hear that you were out of harms reach. I have some simple questions for you.
If you could only go backwards to a time that you had experienced, where would you go and why?

What's one quote that you live by? What does it mean?
I wouldn't go backwards or forwards in time. Whether I experienced it or not. (Don't even want to watch TV or movies that go back or forth in time. Not what you were asking I know but may tell you more about me than if I had given an answer...)

I don't really have a quote. Or at least I have affirmations/quotes that I use from time to time, but they change over time. Right now I guess it is "this too shall pass" not too long ago it was something like "don't worry about things you have no control over". Whatever I feel I need to keep telling myself at that point in time...

I never have the answers people want to polls or surveys, I usually ask questions about the choices or want a 'none of the above' option...

edit: Hope you and those you care about made it through Irma okay.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:38 PM
Posting Princess
Points: 58,472, Level: 100 Points: 58,472, Level: 100 Points: 58,472, Level: 100
Activity: 57.1% Activity: 57.1% Activity: 57.1%
Last Achievements

"Coffee, Tea, And Music Make My World Go Round"

My Mood: Amused
Mentioned: 361 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
terry35 has disabled reputation

I have too kitties too... One female one male... I like a lot of the musicians or music you like and also I read a lot and do puzzles, and beading too... Was wondering what are some of your favorite type of logic problems, and also what is your favorite or current art project that has you smiling or one in the past that made you smile...???...

Old 10-01-2017, 10:17 AM
Security Supervisor
Guild Moderator
Last Achievements

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry35 View Post
I have too kitties too... One female one male... I like a lot of the musicians or music you like and also I read a lot and do puzzles, and beading too... Was wondering what are some of your favorite type of logic problems, and also what is your favorite or current art project that has you smiling or one in the past that made you smile...???...
I have a couple apps on my tablet for logic problems. The one is the grid with 5 choices in 3 categories kind of problem ('Sue is either the teacher or the 29 yr old' sort of puzzle). The other is different puzzles (I guess they would be called brain puzzles?), the ones I have run out of games on are Hitori, Branches, Tatami, Kakuro, Calcudoku, and Parks, so I guess I like those better than the others.

Art project. I guess beading counts? There are a few bracelets that I was really happy about.

details that might be boring to everyone else
( Click to show/hide )

I took a flat spiral class and decided after I had done a few that the design needed something. There was an embellishment, but I wasn't happen with the look (using magatamas). I had another similar bead (rizo) and I tried that. Decided it looked much better (the rizos move a bit while the magatamas pushed against each other and were stiff - so it added a bit of movement to it by changing the bead). Showed it in the shop where I took the class, and now they are using the rizos instead of magatamas. Someone else may have come up with it too, so maybe they are not doing it that way because of what I said. But still - I was able to come up with it, was happy with it, and other people liked it too.

Another time, I was playing around with a bracelet design but wasn't happy with the tension. So I started playing around with another design, and wasn't really happy with that one either (tension wasn't really the problem it was just a little weird). They both used the same beads and I decided to try and combine them... I think they went together splendidly and am very happy with the results. I wear that one almost all the time.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:08 PM
Posting Princess
Points: 58,472, Level: 100 Points: 58,472, Level: 100 Points: 58,472, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionchallenged View Post
I have a couple apps on my tablet for logic problems. The one is the grid with 5 choices in 3 categories kind of problem ('Sue is either the teacher or the 29 yr old' sort of puzzle). The other is different puzzles (I guess they would be called brain puzzles?), the ones I have run out of games on are Hitori, Branches, Tatami, Kakuro, Calcudoku, and Parks, so I guess I like those better than the others.

Art project. I guess beading counts? There are a few bracelets that I was really happy about.

details that might be boring to everyone else
( Click to show/hide )

I took a flat spiral class and decided after I had done a few that the design needed something. There was an embellishment, but I wasn't happen with the look (using magatamas). I had another similar bead (rizo) and I tried that. Decided it looked much better (the rizos move a bit while the magatamas pushed against each other and were stiff - so it added a bit of movement to it by changing the bead). Showed it in the shop where I took the class, and now they are using the rizos instead of magatamas. Someone else may have come up with it too, so maybe they are not doing it that way because of what I said. But still - I was able to come up with it, was happy with it, and other people liked it too.

Another time, I was playing around with a bracelet design but wasn't happy with the tension. So I started playing around with another design, and wasn't really happy with that one either (tension wasn't really the problem it was just a little weird). They both used the same beads and I decided to try and combine them... I think they went together splendidly and am very happy with the results. I wear that one almost all the time.
Nice... Brain or Logic Puzzles and Math or Fill-in the blank Math And Word puzzles are my favorite ones... BUT not crossword where you have to come up with the answer by answering a question to fill in the word... DID those all the time in high school many a year ago and that put me off liking them for life... SIGH!!!

The beading techniques and ideas sound really neat... I love to do bracelets and necklaces since I no longer have pierced ears so earrings are not much my thing anymore... My next question for you about the beading is have you thought about or tried to do a necklace or earrings to match the bracelet you love to wear all the time...???...

I love combos or the two or three to make a matched set for a gift... Do you do the beading for gifts for family and friends as well...???...

Old 10-02-2017, 07:32 PM
Security Supervisor
Guild Moderator
Last Achievements

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Nice... Brain or Logic Puzzles and Math or Fill-in the blank Math And Word puzzles are my favorite ones... BUT not crossword where you have to come up with the answer by answering a question to fill in the word... DID those all the time in high school many a year ago and that put me off liking them for life... SIGH!!!

The beading techniques and ideas sound really neat... I love to do bracelets and necklaces since I no longer have pierced ears so earrings are not much my thing anymore... My next question for you about the beading is have you thought about or tried to do a necklace or earrings to match the bracelet you love to wear all the time...???...

I love combos or the two or three to make a matched set for a gift... Do you do the beading for gifts for family and friends as well...???...
Not sure the pattern of the bracelet would translate to a necklace. Maybe as a choker.

I have made matching necklaces, bracelets, earrings in the past. I have everything to make earrings but I don't wear them anymore and I don't think I know many people who wear them much.

And multiples of a necklace to give to close family for presents. (Same beads, very similar patterns, but different enough to be individualized.)

Friends and family are my testers. So when I learn a new technique or stitch I make extras and give them out. They are told to not be gentle with them and to tell me what breaks so I will know what doesn't work.

I did have problems with one thing I tried that came back from a tester... I tried to make some Mexican Train bracelets and I could not get the mini domino to stay glued to a jump ring. I really should try that again using some domino beads I found.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:44 PM
Posting Princess
Last Achievements

Do you do any other hobbies besides the beading...???...

I also am into scrapbooking, needlepoint or cross stitch, and card making... Homemade cards are fun and easy and make wonderful gifts...

Not to mention I LOVE to read... Do you find time to read anything...???... And if so what do you like to read...???...

Old 10-02-2017, 11:31 PM
Security Supervisor
Guild Moderator
Last Achievements

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Do you do any other hobbies besides the beading...???...

I also am into scrapbooking, needlepoint or cross stitch, and card making... Homemade cards are fun and easy and make wonderful gifts...

Not to mention I LOVE to read... Do you find time to read anything...???... And if so what do you like to read...???...
I wire wrap, macramé, ... I walk/hike. Play some computer games sometimes.

Yes, I read. Mostly mysteries. Right now I am reading a Doc Ford - a bit mystery, a bit spy novel.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:19 AM
Posting Princess
Last Achievements

The novel you are reading sounds like something my mother in law would love... That is the type of novel she likes to read...

Your hobbies sound like mine...

I tired macrame one time... Did not do to well at it... I did better in spinning class back in college with weaving and spinning on a lomb than I did with the wire wrap and macrame classes...

I love to walk... Not much into hiking... But there is a lot of beautiful country to hike in Alaska where I live... Do you have a lot of hiking trails where you live...???...

Old 10-04-2017, 08:28 AM
Security Supervisor
Guild Moderator
Last Achievements

Awards Showcase

Quote:
The novel you are reading sounds like something my mother in law would love... That is the type of novel she likes to read...

Your hobbies sound like mine...

I tired macrame one time... Did not do to well at it... I did better in spinning class back in college with weaving and spinning on a lomb than I did with the wire wrap and macrame classes...

I love to walk... Not much into hiking... But there is a lot of beautiful country to hike in Alaska where I live... Do you have a lot of hiking trails where you live...???...
Not really hiking too close to us (trails in city parks are not the same as hiking in the woods). But I spend some time in NE Georgia where my father lives part of the year, and my husband and I try to go to North Carolina every year. I try to hike then.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:24 AM
Posting Princess
Last Achievements

Nice... Alaska where I live actually has hiking trails outside the city limits and also all along the highways up here just a few miles out of town... Some very steep and rocky...

Also I will admit I am a city girl more at heart than a outdoors type of person... What is your favorite type of hiking trail... Lots of peaks and climbs, mixed of both higher elevations and lower, or lower trails...???...

For me a hike in the woods in more fun than rocky trails with my asthma and allergies...

Old 10-05-2017, 07:13 AM
Security Supervisor
Guild Moderator
Last Achievements

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Nice... Alaska where I live actually has hiking trails outside the city limits and also all along the highways up here just a few miles out of town... Some very steep and rocky...

Also I will admit I am a city girl more at heart than a outdoors type of person... What is your favorite type of hiking trail... Lots of peaks and climbs, mixed of both higher elevations and lower, or lower trails...???...

For me a hike in the woods in more fun than rocky trails with my asthma and allergies...
Something not too steep, though gradual elevation changes make it more interesting. Somewhat even ground is better than tripping over a bunch of tree roots the whole way.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:44 PM
Posting Princess
Last Achievements

Agree on the not tripping... I tend to do that a lot sometimes... SIGH!! Or bump into things...

Old 11-26-2017, 09:43 AM
Baby Diva
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1%

My Mood: Crappy
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
emocat2001 has disabled reputation
Cool music

well i agree with u on that one music helps me so much when things are stressfull and especially with college.