Diva Chix Forums  

Go Back   Diva Chix Forums > Diva Chix > Pulse > Pulse Archive
Blogs FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read Experience

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 02:51 PM
Pulse Supervisor
Points: 147,864, Level: 100 Points: 147,864, Level: 100 Points: 147,864, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 19.2% Activity: 19.2% Activity: 19.2%
Last Achievements

My Mood: Tired
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Lois is a mini celebrityLois is a mini celebrityLois is a mini celebrityLois is a mini celebrityLois is a mini celebrityLois is a mini celebrityLois is a mini celebrityLois is a mini celebrityLois is a mini celebrityLois is a mini celebrityLois is a mini celebrity

Awards Showcase
Staff Member of the Month Staff Member of the Month 
Total Awards: 2

Default Issue 72

Cover

Notice: This Ad only show to guest, please register now to disappear !

RIP to my wonderful Nan. Sadly passed away 10/10/2013.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:52 PM
Pulse Supervisor
Points: 147,864, Level: 100 Points: 147,864, Level: 100 Points: 147,864, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Lois is a mini celebrityLois is a mini celebrityLois is a mini celebrityLois is a mini celebrityLois is a mini celebrityLois is a mini celebrityLois is a mini celebrityLois is a mini celebrityLois is a mini celebrityLois is a mini celebrityLois is a mini celebrity

Awards Showcase

Page 1

jennamazingg - Gardening Women

poison_rose - Go Gleek

mrstucker - Mafia

Old 05-31-2012, 02:53 PM
Pulse Supervisor
Last Achievements

Awards Showcase

Page 2

Four-year-old joins Mensa!
By Sinead_x

A four-year-old girl, Heidi Hankins, from Hampshire, England has been accepted into Mensa with an IQ just one point below Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking. For those of you who didn't know, Mensa is a society for bright people, the only qualification for membership of which is having a very high IQ. This little girl has an IQ of 159. She taught herself to read and was able to count to 40 at two years old. According to Mensa, the average adult IQ score is 100, so Heidi is well above the average for someone even 10x her age! According to Mensa, the signs of a gifted child include an unusual memory, reading at an early age, intolerance of other children and an awareness of world events. A gifted child will also ask questions all of the time.

Titanic anniversary commemerated
By Sinead_x

The 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic was celebrated last week, with many events taking place including one in the ship's birthplace Belfast.
A memorial service for the 1,500 people who died was held at the North Atlantic wreck site on cruise ship MS Balmoral, which retraced the Titanic's route. Those on board the ship included relatives of those who lost their lives in the tragedy. A minute's silence was held and wreaths were cast into the sea at the moment the Titanic sank. A plaque featuring the names of those who died was unveiled in Belfast. The ship, which at the time was the largest vessel in the world, was built in the city of Belfast. The cost of building the RMS Titanic was $7,500,000.

Brad and Angelina announce engagement!
By Sinead_x

Many of us would probably say FINALLY to this news! Yes, Brad and Angelina have confirmed that they are officially enagaged! No wedding date has yet been set, but their engagement has been described by their spokesperson as "a promise for the future". They are both among Hollywood's most widely recognised celebrity couples and have been together since 2005, where they met whilst making the movie 'Mr. and Mrs. Smith' together. They have six children together, including three adopted children. Well I am certainly looking forward to the wedding, and I'm sure the whole World will be intrigued by it too!

Diva Chix Fashionista
By Cocodoll

Fashionista season 3 came back with a bang on the main site; we at Pulse absolutely love it and commend the Community Team on the awesome job they have been doing! But lately we have heard a few grumblings from users who have been participating in Diva Chix Fashionista, some say they have noticed that there has been an unbalance in the judging. It has been said - that a few users who had participated did not meet all the requirements and had actually scored higher than users who met all of the requirements requested. They worry that the judges may not be on same page as one another. For those of you who are participating in Diva Chix Fashionista, what do you think?

Cheating for Doll of the Day
By Nico

Recently, it has become apparent that there is an increase in the amount of members cheating to win Doll of the Day. This is simply done by asking other members, usually friends or family to vote for them and it should be noted that this behaviour is not allowed. It is also against the rules to use someone elses account for your own benefit and you will soon be caught if you do so. Frankly, nobody should be cheating at all, you will be caught and it won't be worth it!

Last edited by Lois; 05-31-2012 at 02:58 PM.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:56 PM
Pulse Supervisor
Last Achievements

Awards Showcase

Page 3

Leather Jacket
By Cornelia

Just like a little black dress, perfume and chocolate, leather jacket is another thing that will never go out of fashion. As one of the most popular clothing items that can be adapted to any combination, either day or evening one, for the formal or casual activities, a leather jacket took a prominent place in the collections of many designers.

You shouldn't buy a leather jacket for just one season, and the golden rule is to choose the model that you can wear at least a few years, but such a model will cost.

A good leather jacket made ​​of quality materials cannot be cheap. If you decide to buy a leather jacket by a famous brand, the prices are much higher. But if you already own a classic model that is not branded then you can afford to go a little crazy and buy a jacket for one season.

When it comes to buying a good leather jacket it is always the same story. Which model, what kind of a cut, what kind of skin (painted, shiny, soft, ...) you should buy etc. Tight short leather jacket is a hit this season and if you want to be trendy, it is definitely a must-have for this spring.
With leather jackets great thing is you can combine them with different materials. Here is another proposal. A short jacket, made ​​of quality and not too shiny skin, paired with light and breezy dresses in evening outings. When it comes to colors, black is dominating this season, because it is a classic. Brown leather jacket is also a classic but it's less popular at the moment. People cannot resist even a leather jacket in blue, yellow, purple and red, so if the cut is good, why not experiment with colors?

With a leather jacket, you certainly won't remain unnoticed. Use it to complement the styling of the spring.

Nicole Richie Vs Khloe Kardashian
By Nico

Both Nicole Richie and Khloe Kardashian stepped out in this Proenza Schouler pullover back in March but who, in your opinion, wore it best? Nicole pairs it with black jeans and a belt, a shoulder bag and rust coloured heels. Khloe goes for a more summery look, with mint jeans, simple black heels, a blazer and an electric blue statement bag. Vote for who you think won this style battle below.

Vanessa Hudgens and Emma Roberts
By Nico

Both Vanessa Hudgens and Emma Roberts made an appearance at this years Coachella festival. Vanessa got into the spirit by working the bohemian look, wearing a printed bandeau top, a head band and dancing around barefoot. Emma, on the other hand wore printed shorts, sandals and retro shades. But do you think they pulled off the festival style?

Last edited by Lois; 05-31-2012 at 02:58 PM.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:58 PM
Pulse Supervisor
Last Achievements

Awards Showcase

Page 4

Telenovelas: Junk In The High Trunk
By Cornelia

Let's clear something up, Latin American telenovelas belong to the trash program and you don't need a diploma to realize that. One ridicule it, other live through its characters, and the third made a serious study of this phenomenon.They make us laugh or cry but whatever-they serve the purpose. We like to peak into the other people's yards anyway, so why wouldn't that yard be Esmeralda's?

Imagine when you get tired after shopping, or work, or a failed date and right from the door you run for the ice cream. You put your slippers on and jump on the couch. Between aggressive politicians and crazy show business, the logical choice for you are our fellow Mexicans.

Then you see the introduction clip, a summary of previous episodes, and while swallowing mouthfuls of stracciatella, on the screen you see the solving of the mystery of Aurora's long lost daughter Esperanza. The scene looks like this: two of them facing each other, significant views and well-known phrase: "Yo soy tu madre!" TA DA! Dramatic background music and large frame of Esperanza's stunned face. Yeah okay, we're surprised.

At the same time, on the other end of the "Ciudad de Mexico", Eduardo is like on pins and needles waiting for news from the operating room. Ximena kissed the floor that morning when she fell down the stairs, which is actually perfect for her because it'll make Eduardo marry her out of pity. However, he hopes, and hopes just like the public with their eyes widely open and concentrated at the TV screens, that nothing will stand in the way of his and Esperanza's love. In his head appear moving images of the passionate night with Esperanza, in a country house near the river, on a satin red sheets with the saxophone playing in the background...

But, behold!!!! Out comes the doctor Alvaro and as we already know, the results are not good.

- Senor Eduardo, I'm afraid I have an awful news for you, Ximena lost the baby!
- QUE?!
- And she also can't move!
- Whaa...???
- AND SHE BROKE A NAIL!
- Dios mio!
- And her pants are a bit scratched from the fall!!!!
- AY AY AY!!!

Well, I'm sorry, Eduardo, but that's what you get for spreading yourself all over the city.

And so, the outcome of this drama, with all the usual elements of comedy, we find 12432324234212 episodes later, when it is learned that Ximena has never been pregnant, that Esperanza is pregnant with Eduardo's child, and that she got the inheritance of Juan Carlos, that the kind-hearted Gabriela has flat feet, pneumonia, dental caries and what not ...

So by the end of the episode or you have cried oceans of tears or you got the stomach ache from laughing. In any case, you forgot your troubles, as it was intended.

Here are a few trivial facts about soap operas. The correct terminology is actually a "telenovela" and not soap opera, because soap operas have different concept. Modern telenovelas have evolved into huge television projects, with the same attention given to the script, as it is to visual effects, in accordance with the socio-economic condition of the target group of viewers. The story is only roughly sketched, there is no script, but complications arise as we go along. Then, the actors do not learn the text by heart. They wear earphones, in which the director whispers their lines what makes for suitable moments of dramatic and theatrical facial expressions.

The intellectuals won't think twice before they make fun of this form of entertainment and will immediately cut the root of any positive criticism. But for the fans of the genre nothing can replace the fights they have with the TV at the moment when Esperanza finds out about her stepmother's evil plans or the pleasure caused by their collapse.

After a happy end, the TV is turned off, life goes on and everyone goes their own way. The world has not become a better place, politics is still a source of frustration, and holes in the ozone layer grow. Telenovelas are just excellent valves, escape from reality, or if you ask me, the inspiration for hilarious anthropological research.

They taught me how to say "Go to jail!" "She's only fifteen!" "I am your mother!" "He's not your father!" and some curse words I won't write here.
Of course that was just the beginning, I've watched so many of these shows that I could've practically taught Spanish in at least an Elementary school.
But now I've finished lots of courses of the language and I really love Spanish, what I can thank telenovelas for. (I'm not ashamed of admitting it.)

Anyway, as a kid, I used to watch these shows secretly because everyone around me hated them but I always liked making fun of them. Now I can't even sit through one episode of a telenovela without having the urge to puke. How times change. Now if I want to escape from reality, I tend to read a good book, watch a sitcom or write a short story. But that's just how I roll.

What about you, how do you escape from reality? Do you like watching telenovelas? If you do, what are your favorite ones?

Mobile Phone Contracts
By cocodoll

Recently I received a very large phone bill, from my phone company. I was literally gob-smacked, when I saw the amount of money I had to pay. Sometimes I wonder if mobile phone companies like to rip people off, because I know for a fact I would never go over my bill by $200, the most I've gone over before is $10. The sad thing is the phone company couldn't even give me a legitimate reason as to why I owe them so much, there was no proof that I had gone over my plan, but I still have to pay for it. I'm locked to my contract for another 19 months, which feels like a very long time and my phone company isn't the best, I've always known that customers have had problems with the company. I'm not even sure why I decided to sign up with this phone company, when I know there are better ones out there.

For those of you who are on a phone contract, how much do you usually pay for your monthly bill? Do you ever go over your bill? Do you pay for your own phone bill or does somebody else?

Create Your Own Adventure
By cottoncandy813

Hello there, travelers! So I see you've stumbled upon this story. What is this story, you may ask? Well, it's your story. Yes, that's right; you are the one writing this tale. How? Simply follow the bold directions at the end of each passage and see what adventure lies ahead. Good luck!
To begin writing the story, continue on to #1.
To stop this and Facebook creep instead, continue on to #10.

1. How brave you are! And very trusting. You have no idea where I'm going to take you, although neither do I. Let's begin. You wake up on a beach, disoriented and sunburned. And - what's this? When did you put a coconut bra on? How did you even get on this beach? The last thing you remember is...oh right. Jumping off the railing of the cruise ship. That would probably explain things. You look around, but there doesn't seem to be any sign of life. There's a thick jungle behind you with a path leading deep into the trees. What will you do?
To take the path into the jungle, continue onto #2.
To walk along the shore, continue onto #3.

2. Into the jungle it is! You stand up, hike up your hula skirt (which you just noticed is rather...ahem revealing) and begin your trek. You've been walking for what seems forever when the sweltering humidity begins to overcome you. The mosquitoes are swarming you and you can hardly breathe. You've been walking for awhile now and it's so warm, a nap would be so nice right now and look! There's a nice bed of vines to rest on. It looks so comfortable...
To take a nap, continue on to #10.
To keep walking just a little bit longer, continue onto #4.

3. Ah, so you've chosen to stay on the beach! The weather's so nice and the waves are so calming, excellent choice. You can't see an end to the shore, so it must be a large island. Surely, there will be people somewhere! As you walk, you step on a sharp rock. Ouch! Oh no, you're bleeding. It looks pretty bad, too.
To grab a leaf and make a pseudo-bandage, continue on to #5.
To go into the water to rinse it out, continue onto #10.
4. You've chosen to keep walking. Wise decision, since there's a river up ahead and you're parched. You lean over the clear water and see your reflection. Is your....yes, your head has been shaved. You sigh. At least you won't have to worry about fixing your hair while you're stuck on this island. You cup your hands and take a sip of water. Ahh, so refreshing. Quenching your thirst has made you realize just how hungry you are. You look around. There are some berries near by, but maybe you want something more filling.
To eat the berries, continue onto #6.
To set a trap to catch a small animal, continue onto #7.

5. Well, it's not the most medically-safe, but it's better than nothing. It's certainly better than risking a shark attack in the water. Good thing you knew that blood attracts sharks. Anyway, you keep walking until you find a small bottle with a message inside.
To open the bottle and read the message, continue onto #8.
To throw it away and keep walking, continue onto #9.

6. So you chose to ate the berries. Haven't you seen any survival movie ever? You never eat the berries! Your stomach starts to feel queasy and your vision blurs. You hear angelic voices as you lose your balance and fall over.
Continue onto #10.

7. Setting a trap, eh? How clever of you! Unfortunately, there seems to only be large animals on this island. Large, carnivorous animals. Large, carnivorous animals that you angered with your stupid traps and now want to ear you. You can run, but it turns out those high heels you don't remember putting on are more of a hindrance than a fashion statement.
Continue onto #10.

8. You open the bottle and read the message. "Duck." You're puzzled, until you hear a whizzing sound and just barely manage to hit the ground before a ball goes whizzing by your head. You crawl over to where the ball landed and look at it. It's a...volleyball. You look around and see...yes, there's a volleyball court right over there. As well as a pool, and deck chairs. In fact, it seems as though there is an entire resort. Looks like you were never really stranded on a desert island. You climb over the fence, grab one of those adorable drinks with the little umbrella, and relax. Congratulations, you've survived.

9. You throw the bottle into the ocean, where it hits a large dolphin on the head. Wait a minute, that isn't a dolphin. It's a torpedo, headed straight for you. It may have came from that large ship you didn't notice until this moment. As the torpedo approaches, you realize how all this happened. Just as you are about to shout your revelation to the sky...
Continue onto #10.

10. Ah, so this is where your adventure ends, I'm afraid. Did you die after resting on the poisonous snakes house of vines? Maybe you attracted a vicious shark with a bloody wound? Or were you not even brave enough to start? Well, whatever happened, you met your doom. You might not have been the best participant ever, but those tales will certainly make some good bedtime stories for generations to come. The End.

Blueberry and White Chocolate Muffins
By Nico

These muffins are the perfect treat for when you can't choose between fruit and chocolate and are also very quick and easy to make. You can also experiment by substituting the blueberries for a fruit of your choice, why not try raspberries?

Ingredients:
150g plain flour
50g golden caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
a pinch of salt
1 egg, beaten
50g butter, melted and cooled
100ml milk
75g blueberries
75g white chocolate chips

Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celcius. Line a muffin tin with 6 paper cases.
2. Mix the butter, egg and milk into the dry ingredients. Try not to overmix it, it doesn't matter if the mixture is slightly lumpy!
3. Add the blueberries and chocolate chips.
4. Divide the mixture between the six cases and then bake for 25 minutes or until the muffins are risen and cooked through.
5. Allow to cool for around 30 minutes then enjoy!

Old 05-31-2012, 03:00 PM
Pulse Supervisor
Last Achievements

Awards Showcase

Page 5

Essie Nail Care
By skeleton

In my everyday life I participate a sport called crew or rowing. Itís extremely hard on every aspect of your hands, including your nails. There is track grease, cleaning chemicals, constant hitting, splitting, and peeling that happens to your nails everyday. By the end of the season, my nails are little or nonexistent, because of everything that has caused them to weaken. About three weeks ago, I began using the Rock Solid treatment, and already, my nails look 1,000 times better- even more exciting, I havenít broken a nail since! Already, Iíve begun recommending it to everyone I knew, and so far, Iíve had many friends tell me itís worked for them as well. A bottle of Rock Solid base coat Essie is a bit pricey at 8 dollars, but itís definitely worth it.
Not only does Essie have a Rock Solid treatment to strengthen your nails, but they also have an All in One Base, Grow faster, Grow Stronger and Feed Me. The All in One Base is for people who have healthy nails and wish to keep them that way. The Grow Faster base is also for healthy nails, but speeds up the natural growing process. Grow Stronger is similar to Rock Solid, but is a fortifying treatment instead of a base coat, to strengthen. And last but not least, is Feed Me, a hydrating treatment base coat for dry brittle nails. All bottles range from 8-9 dollars and is free to ship anywhere in United States!

Hair Straightening with Got2b
By xKPandCo

More than likely, there is a large percentage of you girls who straighten your hair multiple times a week. It is simple to overlook the massive amounts of heat your hair is being exposed to. Some straighteners go all the way up to and even over 400 degrees! Without any protection, your hair will become harshly damaged. You may see frizz and split ends..No one wants that! You can not just project your hair, but also make it look so much better with this great product: Schwarzkopf's Got2b Guardian Angel flat iron balm.

I got the spray about a month ago and after the first use, I could not wait to share it here! This spray works wonders. It makes your hair very soft and glossy; I can not stop touching my hair after using it. The spray does not make it greasy though- like many other products tend to do. And as per frizziness, this product tames it as if it were magic. You can hardly see any frizz after using it. That is not even all! The spray smells delicious and protects at temperatures as high as 425 degrees F! This product has been shown to work with the same results on all types of hair: coarse, oily, curly, you name it!

However, no matter how much any spray protects, it is important you are not setting your straightener's temperature too high. It is easy to slide up the heat to its highest setting. Look at these quick tips to see where your hair type falls, so you know just where to set the right amount.

-Fine, damaged, or chemically treated hair: below 300 degrees F (work up starting low)
-Normal, wavy, medium thickness hair: 300-380 degrees F
-Thick, coarse, very curly: 350-400 degrees F

The right amount of heat with the right product can work wonders on your hair! Pick up this spray at any market or drugstore start at $4.50.

Choosing The Right Shampoo For Your Hair
By Nico

It is known that using products and heat too often on your hair can cause problems but choosing the wrong shampoo can also have similar effects. A general rule is to ensure you choose a shampoo free from sulphates such as Sodium Lauryl Sulphate or Sodium Laureth Sulphate which can cause irritation to your scalp as well as split ends. It is also important to make sure you are only shampooing your hair when you really need to. Many women can go three days before needing to wash their hair and once you get into washing your hair daily, your scalp will soon dry out. There are also many things to look out for depending on your hair type. If you don't know your hair type, you can ask your hairdresser!

Normal Types simply need to look for a shampoo for normal hair, that won't take away the natural oils. Remember not to shampoo too frequently though as your hair will dry out!

Oily Types should look for shampoos containing tea tree oil, sage oil or chamomile, which will help to remove the oil from the strands and scalp. Make sure you also check the ingredients to ensure you can use them regularly.

Dry Types need moisturising shampoos. The best ingredients for this is shea butter as it will nourish your hair. Moisturising shampoos will also help to calm scalp irritation and dandruff.

For coloured hair make sure you choose a product that is colour-friendly! A lot of shampoos, especially clarifying shampoos will cause your colour to fade much faster.

Hunger Games Nail Art!
By Trishy

It's safe to say The Hunger Games is all the rage lately, what with girls screaming Team Peeta or Team Gale! Not that there is any competition in my eyes, Team Peeta all the way right! haha! So I thought this cool Hunger games nail art tutorial would be fun, you may not of gone to see the film yet and you and your mates might want to dress up for the showing! Or maybe you just want to look fierce, either way this video tutorial will be right up your street!

Katniss Fire Nails
http://www.youtube.com/embed/-OQ4QyFmW1A

Old 05-31-2012, 03:03 PM
Pulse Supervisor
Last Achievements

Awards Showcase

Page 6

Bridesmaids
By Lois

I'm quite picky with films and I don't often find films I like, but this comedy/romance is definitely at the top of my list!
The film is mostly set around a woman, Annie. Annie's best friend Lillian got engaged at the beginning of the film and she asked Annie to be her Maid of Honour. However, there is a high amount of competition between Maid of Honour Annie and a bridesmaid, Helen.
Alongside the competition, which changes Annie's Maid of Honour role, Annie has some issues of her own when she loses her job, gets kicked out of her home and is messed around by an ex-boyfriend! To make matters worse, everyone else her age is in love, married and thinking of having children, but she's the only one that hasn't found love yet.
Does Annie find love? Does the wedding go ahead?

Bridesmaids had an average rating of 7/10 from over 82,000 people that rated it. It is a film for those who are 15 years old or older, and it includes many hilarious deleted scenes as well as extended and alternate scenes! You'll certainly be laughing at this one!

Facejacker
By Nico

Spin-off of the successful UK series, Fonejacker, Facejacker works on a similar principle except all pranks take place face to face. Essentially, all characters are played by one man, Kayvan Novak, with the help of prosthetics of course. Perhaps the most notable of these characters is Terry Tibbs, a cockney second-hand car salesman, known for his catchphrase, "talk to me." His role in the series involve appearing in several TV shows including Come Dine With Me and his own spin-off of Dragon's Den, "Lizard's Lair".

In my opinion, the show can really hit the mark at times and I will be laughing throughout the episode. There are silly scenarios, possible my favourite being the new automated ordering service at a drive through messing up every single order. Of course the system isn't actually automated: Novak is standing across the street from the building, doing his best to wind up the customers. In my opinion, it is funny watching how people react in these situations. Novak has stated himself that he is, "good at winding up British people," and so for his second series he has filmed many scenarios in the USA, stating that he enjoyed pushing "the customer service perma-smile to its limits."

On the other hand, the show can really lose the plot sometimes. It can steer towards cruder humour and I do occasionally feel as if the writers are trying too hard. A lot of the characters do play up to social stereotypes such as the cockney second-hand car salesman, the gay art critic and the incredibly polite Ugandan scammer. This can teeter dangerously close to being offensive yet I think it is the daring and mischievous nature of the show that can't stop you from sniggering.

British Iranian prankster, Kayvan Novak, takes the controversy surrounding his show in his stride. He states that the show is not intended to be offensive and that the pranks aren't intended to be mean spirited, in fact he believes, "a lot of the characters are quite lovable," which I would believe to be true. After watching a few episodes, I believe the humour becomes easier to understand and you will find you want to watch more!

The bizarre wedding customs from around the world
By Cornelia

Demanding mother-in-law, heavy dress and drunken guests ... If you think these are the troubles at a wedding, then you still don't know about these bizarre customs I've heard about. That's why I'll introduce some of them to you.

NORTH BORNEO - NO TOILET FOR THREE DAYS
Honeymoon is supposed to be for enjoying the passion, but it is hardly possible for members of the community Tidong from North Borneo. Couples three days and three nights after the wedding must not use the toilet. To ensure that the couple does not violate this rule, members of the family take turns in guarding the bathroom. This, mildly odd custom serves for people to make sure that they'll have a long and happy marriage with lots of kids.

UKRAINE - BURNING OF THE MATCHMAKER
In traditional Ukrainian weddings there is one unusual and one might say pessimistic tradition. Already anticipating the possibility of divorce in the future, although they are still married, at the ceremony, bride is burning the doll that represents the matchmaker, the person who brought them together.

SCOTLAND - BLACKENING OF THE BRIDE
In Scotland bachelorette party isn't such a pleasure. Friends the night before the wedding dip the bride in sour milk, dead fish, tar and feathers, and then they take her out for drinks. The essence of this centuries-old tradition called "Blackening of the Bride," is to prepare the young bride for any indignity or the problems she might face in marriage.

MARQUESAS ISLANDS - HUMAN CARPET FOR WEDDING
On the island of Tahiti, couple is walking over family members and guests. The truth is, all wedding guests lie on the ground, creating a "human carpet" over which the newlyweds walk. The meaning of this strange custom isn't known.

SOUTH AFRICAN REPUBLIC - INSULTING
This is a ritual that many of us would probably happily adopt. Specifically, during the wedding the bride and groom's families exchange insults, and each subsequent round is more vigorous!

CHINA - THE CRYING BRIDE
Are you the type of person that always cries at weddings? Well, every woman in China is that type, because according to the bizarre tradition, the bride has to cry every day, for a whole month before a wedding, in this strange custom, she would be joined by all the female members of the family. On the wedding day the bride cry and then sing a song that mourns the marriage!

INDIA - WEDDING WITH ANIMALS
Something like this you certainly have not heard of! According to an Indian legend, a girl born with a tooth that has already come out, has to marry an animal (usually a dog or goat) or she'll be damned!

MAURITANIA - VIOLENT FEEDING OF THE BRIDE
To show their power and status, a man has to marry a fat girl. The ritual is called Leblouh, and girls aged five to 15 years are sent to "fat farms" and forced to eat thousands of calories of food in order to quickly gain weight. If the girls happen to refuse food, they'd often be beaten. Tragic.

All My Sons
By Lois

All My Sons isn't a book, but it is an excellent play written in 1947 about a family after World War Two.
The play, written by Arthur Miller, is mostly based around a man called Joe Keller who is a self-made businessman. During WW2, Joe made the cylinder heads for the war planes, however he soon realises that they are faulty. But he must earn money to support him and his family. The big question is, does Joe sell these faulty parts to the U.S military or not?
Joe has two sons, Chris and Larry, although we do not get to meet Larry as he went missing during WW2. Nobody knows where he went, whether he's dead or alive, but the mother of Larry deeply believes he will come back soon as a horoscope implies that he is still alive, but is he?

All my Sons is based on a true story and is a play I would defenitely recommend to the older members of Divachix and any history students interested in WW2! You will feel many different emotions whilst reading the play as there are scenes of sadness, anger and betrayal.

You should be able to purchase this play from most book shops.

90's Music
By Sinead_x

So I am a 90's baby, and I may be slightly biased on this one, but 90's music was the best! Some of the greatest singers of all time had their greatest hits in the 90's, such as Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Oasis and Britney Spears. Contemporary R&B and urban music in general wasextremely popular throughout this decade and the continuation of teen pop and dance-pop trends which had emerged in the 1980s. The artist with the number 1 spot won 6 Grammy's in this decade and her music is recognizable all over the World.

1. Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You
2. Britney Spears - Baby One More Time
3. Madonna - Vogue
4. MC Hammer - Can't Touch This
5. Ricky Martin - "Livin' la Vida Loca
6. Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby
7. Oasis - Wonderwall
8. Spice Girls - Wannabe
9. Backstreet Boys - I Want It That Way
10. Mariah Carey - Vision Of Love

Old 05-31-2012, 03:05 PM
Pulse Supervisor
Last Achievements

Awards Showcase

Page 7

Graphic Interview
By Lois
User interviewed: Marin/athousandfantasies

1) Hey Marin/athousandfantasies, I love your graphic! Do you own a graphic shop? If so, what is it called and when did you create it?
I do, it's called you're just a beautiful mistake~ and I created it around.. maybe five/six months ago!

2) What do you enjoy the most about creating graphics?
Just fooling around on gimp is always really fun, usually I come out with a graphic.

3) What do you base your graphics on? (celebrities, feelings, etc)
The songs I hear on the radio, basically. Sometimes I'll see a texture pack or a picture and just visualize it as a graphic, though.

4) What made you use Taylor Swift in your graphic?
It was actually for Mandy(CatchMyBreath) and I heard she likes Taylor Swift!

5) Do you inspire to be like any other graphic maker on DC? If so, who?
Holly(hollyx) or Manjit(imamonster). They're fabulous at graphics!

6) If you had to give a tip to new graphic makers, what would it be?
Be patient! It wont look great to start with but get familiar with the program you use and just have fun with it!

Divachix PROM!
By skeleton

Everyone, it is that time of the year again! Prom time! With finals almost done, and kids counting their last hours of school, Divachixís annual prom will be coming around the corner in no time. Better get a date... and a dress. A poll for the prom theme was announced on April eleventh to decide on exactly which would be a winner. With twelve options, there is something for everyone- however, only one theme will be chosen, and leading at the moment is Masquerade Ball- a somewhat cliche and overdone prom theme, but a crowd pleaser. What comes along with the theme of prom, also comes with tons of forum activities and a boom in CYO business. Everyone wants a piece of the event- the awards, the corsage graphics. The best part is if your a junior or a senior in high school this year, your lucky, because you get not only the excitement of a real prom, but the excitement of Divachix prom!

Thread of the Week
By cottoncandy813

http://www.divachix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91097

Do you have some distant famous relative? Have you ever stalked a celebrity so well that you managed to get within reaching distance? Let us know what your "claim to fame" is!

Member Recognition
By cottoncandy813

This week we've chosen Community Mod fashionchallenged. Liz is well-known around the forums for keeping our suggestions so neat and organized and otherwise being an awesome person to talk to. Thanks so much for everything you do Liz!

Hottest CYO
By Trishy

1.) This Dress is from http://www.divachix.com/usershopview_1054654_235.shtml, it is simply gorgeee and goes with her 0626 pose found in her shop!
2.) These cool new boots are from http://www.divachix.com/usershopview_1040453_3604.shtml and come in a variety of colors!

3.) If you're a cat lover like moi, then you will love these new pets from http://www.divachix.com/usershopview_1051706_61.shtml

Debating Not Hating!
By cottoncandy813

Context: The Miss Universe Canada competition issued a ban for Jenna Talackova after officials discovered that, although she identifies as female, Talackova was actually born a boy. According to pageant director Denis Davila, the rules asserts that every contestant must be a "naturally born female," although critics of the decision claim that the rules do not address sex change or plastic surgery. Although this ban has now been overturned and Talackova allowed to compete, there is still much debate as to whether the officials had any standing in their original ban.

Side A: "If their rules do explicitly state that only 'natural born women' may enter, then no, she doesn't have the *right* to. It's still wrong, but not illegal and no one is entitled to be allowed to participate." -zombies

Side B: "Their right to discriminate? Uh wow. She's a woman and female. Disqualifying her is disgusting." -aftertheflood

Old 05-31-2012, 03:07 PM
Pulse Supervisor
Last Achievements

Awards Showcase

Page 8

Funny Image

Riddle
I'm the part of the bird that's not in the sky. I can swim in the ocean and yet remain dry. What am I?
Answer: Shadow.

Quiz Biz

Three Facts
A snail can sleep for three years.
A koala Bear sleeps 22 hours of every day.
Bats always turn left when exiting a cave.

Celeb Eye

Would you rather
Would you rather go to a theme park or go to the zoo?

Spot The Difference

Joke
What does a nosy pepper do?
Get jalapeŮo business!

Closed Thread