Diva Chix Forums  

Go Back   Diva Chix Forums > Blogs > Onyx Knyte * Shop Noir~
Blogs FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read Experience

Things about me, my shop, and my website FashionVixens.Net plus entries about fashion, costuming, and stage dressing.
Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

What is a Forum Troll? and how to spot one!

Submit "What is a Forum Troll? and how to spot one!" to Digg Submit "What is a Forum Troll? and how to spot one!" to del.icio.us Submit "What is a Forum Troll? and how to spot one!" to StumbleUpon Submit "What is a Forum Troll? and how to spot one!" to Google
Posted 06-07-2012 at 09:47 PM by onyxknyte
Updated 06-13-2012 at 02:05 AM by onyxknyte

Over the last few weeks, many have expressed feelings of being unsafe, picked upon, or singled out by others, with everything from rude remarks, to outright accusations. I occasionally am also a target, but so many have expressed feelings of depression, and other negative emotions due to feeling they are the target for someone or others rants, etc..

Some want to leave, some just don't want to post in the forum anymore, (I am one who probably falls into that catagory). I see folks badgered all the time, not just here, but all over the internet, and it truly makes me sad. This is another form of bullying.

The internet has another term for it. Forum Trolls, or Trolling. Are you a victim of someone who enjoys trolling. There isn't much you can do to make these types of folk aware that they are being internet bullies, all you can do is learn how to spot them, and learn how to deal.

Please note: This blog post in no way is meant to single anyone out, it is meant to benefit the folks here who have expressed a feeling of being picked on, etc. and for the general education of anyone who uses the internet! I welcome comments, but please be aware, any mean, or off color comments will be deleted, and anyone mentioning anothers name will most likely be reported, use tact, and maturity, and by all means read the articles BEFORE making comments.

Below are some links about internet trolling. Can you spot these traits in someone you have encountered, or perhaps even yourself. Do try and read them all, as they are very informative, and something everyone using the internet, a forum, or social ground should be aware of.

The first link, altho it is making references to a medical forum called CureZone, it is suggested you simply replace the CureZone references, with any forum platform, it applies to all.

http://curezone.com/forums/troll.asp

Here you will find the definition as stated in the Urban Dictionary!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...rm=forum+troll

Especially good read:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1032102

I hope you will read thru them all, and maybe even do a little research for further reading on your own. I hope this little post will help so many of you who are feeling unsafe, and picked on, a littler safer, and a little happier. It isn't you, just be aware, the folk described in these articles, are in need of help themselves. Help them, by learning to deal with them!

Note: Comments are being moderated, so please be patient after posting, till I am able to approve it.... Thank you!
Posted in Other, Tutorials
Views 2853 Comments 20 Edit Tags
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 20

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Great info and thanks for the links!
  2. Old Comment
    Very good articles and I hope members do take the time to read them.
  3. Old Comment
    Great info it's going to help alot of people
  4. Old Comment
    Glad you guys approve, and I really do hope more people read it. I don't want to push this in peoples faces, you know, but I do feel it is a knowledge that everyone using the net should know and understand. And it has been breaking my heart to see so many young ones feeling this bad because of people who like to push buttons.
  5. Old Comment
    ~Yes, this blog entry is now tied with Hollyxs' blog entry for the title of my favorite ! The information is very helpful, useful, and I can only hope & pray that many here will comprehend and absorb what they read to put it toward good use in their social/internet lives for it will truly benefit them in ways they never imagined! This blog entry is also very, very well-written!
  6. Old Comment
    Thank you so much for that compliment!~
  7. Old Comment
    I hope you don't leave this site
  8. Old Comment
    Don't worry smannion, I won't leave cause of Trolls LOL! I don't like them, nor have much sympathy for them but they are not running me away from anything... and thanks for that, I love you too!
    This was for everyones awareness, there are so many doing it, and having it being done to them, I wanted to be sure a lot of those people feeling so bad about it, realized that this is not their fault, and that people who do this have a serious problem, which they are either not aware of, or do purposely just for kicks.

I especially like the breakdown, in the 3rd article link above, where it lists the different types of trolls. I am sure there are many more types as well lol!
    Updated 06-08-2012 at 06:47 PM by onyxknyte
  9. Old Comment
    I loved your piece, and although I have not been attacked individually, I have noticed I have negative rep- which makes me wonder because all my postings are things like my guild's tasks, etc on our forum or bids. I do not know why others feel they need to neg rep someone- I could understand it if I posted opinion pages, etc, but most everything is factual postings or bids- I guess this is a form of trolloing too. Oh well, I am not leaving and I am glad you aren't either- you are a fabulously creative asset to this game!
  10. Old Comment
    Great post, hun. Things have gotten out of hands around here, and it's about time we all come together and make it stop. Who can truly be happy with all the hatred and bullying going on around them? I'd like to think the answer to that question would be NO ONE!! But sometimes, it really doesn't seem that way.
  11. Old Comment
    Great blog. In the past I had some problems with trolling, but this person left DC. It is so dumb to bully people online. I like to think these people are nobodies in real life and act out online to compensate for their sad little lifes.
  12. Old Comment
    WoW, thanks hun! I had no idea there was actually a term for this! It is insane the lengths some will go to. I have noticed it and I do just ignore it. Thanks so much for the enlightenment!

It is good to know that we wont be loosing good members to this issue!!!!!
  13. Old Comment
    Good Work on this issue. It is informed and informational to people that are being "trolled" or are being pulled into "trollng" and don't even know it. That was why I didn't go on the forums alot; because of this issue. As my friend Kukana said I would just ignore it, but it is hurtful to the people it is being done to. I do know of several people that this has happened to; some have left and others have stayed, but it should not be done on any site none of the lest here. It seems to me that when busy minds get tried of voting or creating beautiful DIVAS that can wonder off into Troll Land. Everybody has a right to speck their opinion on an issue, but not at the expense of someones feelings. Someone once said "It's not my business to know what others think of me, but what I think of myself is what matters"

Thank You for speaking out about this issue my friend.
  14. Old Comment
    And Thank You, for that lovely compliment. I thought the time had come as well, and I do hope that more people find this post and read it for their own benefit!

I am also not opposed to anyone sharing it, or sending the link to their friends.
    Updated 06-10-2012 at 02:39 PM by onyxknyte
  15. Old Comment
    WOW thanks for this information. I have noticed there are a lot of those around. Ignoring them seems like an excellent idea!
  16. Old Comment
    Thank you so much for these articles. I found them extrememly informative and right on with its message. I usually avoid the forums but after reading these articles, there is really no reason to have to avoid participation. All one has to do is implement what the articles are trying to teach you and advised, then go from there.
  17. Old Comment
    That is absolutely right Ronmedo, if you ignore them, they can not bother you, and the more they smash and badger you (or quote everything you say in the hopes of "stirring" you on the forum), the more their true colors show, and everyone sees them for the trolls they are.

The funny thing is tho, many of them actually believe they are not the trolls, they just don't see it in themselves, kinda like a bully does not, it's very sad. That tells me they need some help, All they want, or do all day is to stalk threads and members, and make comments and call names.

What is even sadder, is to watch the type of troll who protests against "inhumanity" while being inhuman, and completely rude and/or insensitive themselves. I just saw another post from one earlier, bashing one of the trolling offenders, while doing the exact same thing themselves, and doing it constantly LOL!!!! It was actually mentioned that TR1 would report TR2 and ask they be banned. HA HA, and IMHO, TR1 should go along with TR2 as TR1 is one of the biggest offenders!!!

SAD BUT TRUE~ Metallica

BTW, if you like this blog post, and beleive it to be of benefit to others, please consider giving it a high star rating to keep it seen. Thank you.
    Updated 06-12-2012 at 01:33 PM by onyxknyte
  18. Old Comment
    Thank you for the articles, I did read them and found them informative.
  19. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cyncyn View Comment
    Thank you for the articles, I did read them and found them informative.
  20. Old Comment
    This is a very serious matter and people should be able to feel welcome and be able to have someone to talk to about the situation. Holding things in is not a good thing for anyone. Health problems are involved and we want all our divas to stay good and healthly, so thanks onyxknyte for posting this problem for everyone.