Diva Chix Forums  

Go Back   Diva Chix Forums > Blogs > Crazy {Creative} Person
Blogs FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read Experience

crazy & creative, not necessarily together
Rating: 4 votes, 4.25 average.

Cyberbullying

Submit "Cyberbullying" to Digg Submit "Cyberbullying" to del.icio.us Submit "Cyberbullying" to StumbleUpon Submit "Cyberbullying" to Google
Posted 04-01-2012 at 09:39 PM by imnoangell99

I know that my blogs are typically about being a community mod, but I've decided to discuss another topic that is important to me and is currently a pressing issue: Cyberbullying.

It used to be that bullying was considered a physical thing: you beat someone up or stuffed them in a locker. Of course it could always be verbal as well. But now that millions of kids are online, going on social media websites and the like, we have a new type of bullying called cyberbully, which is bullying on the internet.

We may not be able to see their face, or know their reactions, but that doesn't mean our words cannot hurt somebody else.

Online, you can't really show the connotation of your words. Meaning, something someone says could be either construed as being mean or being nice, depending on how it was taken. For example, here are two sentences:

I ate Grandma.
I ate, Grandma.

Do you see the difference a comma makes? In the first sentence, it leads us to believe that we are having Grandma for dinner. The second sentence shows we are telling grandma we had dinner.

If someone types something sarcastically, can you tell? Putting emphasis on certain words changes the meaning of the sentence. So if you mean to say something nice, it may not always come out that way. That is something we have to think about when conversing over the internet. Personally, I find that the use of emoticons and smiles help get the right point across .

We may not always realize we are bullying or saying something mean to someone until they call us out on it. As mentioned above, you may say something that you don't believe is coming out mean, but someone else may take it that way. When typing something, you have to ask yourself, if someone said this to me, would I be upset? Would it be hurtful?

Its not always easy to see another person's perspective. As the saying goes, "Walk a mile in their shoes." The truth is, we are all insecure about things. I know I have my own insecurities. And exploiting someone's insecurities is not cool. Would you want somebody to do that to you?

The Divachix community is about getting to meet new people all around the world, people who share different cultures and learn different things. Its like a home away from home. A way to unwind after school or work, to enjoy the company of others. Its not a place to attack people or bully them.

As an effort to become a better community and to better ourselves as a whole (because we aren't perfect and we can always improve), post if you have ever been bullied. I'm sure everyone has had some kind of experience with it, whether they were the bully or were the one bullied. It happens all the time. And when you take a stand, that is when you become a stronger, better person. Grow from the experience, learn from your mistakes, and then let it go, to flow back to the winds of the past, erased from the memory.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 675 Comments 7 Edit Tags
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 7

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Amen.
    Posted 04-01-2012 at 09:57 PM by ocean_crumbles ocean_crumbles is offline
  2. Old Comment
    Thank you for posting this! A lot of people post sarcastic things on DC, and not everyone is able to get it was sarcasm, mostly me though.
    Posted 04-01-2012 at 10:22 PM by hidingbutterflies hidingbutterflies is offline
  3. Old Comment
    Agree with this, cyberbullying affects so many, one of them being myself a few years ago.
  4. Old Comment
    Very nice and well said.
  5. Old Comment
    I was bullied when I was younger by my (at the time) best friend, and it was horrible.

Oh, since it's related to your topic, I shall have a small rant..
    When someone ever reads a post and deems it to be offensive, or hurtful, and then tells people they are offended. The better thing for the poster to do is to apologise for hurting their feelings, even if it wasn't intentional, instead of arguing that you didn't mean to be offensive.
    It annoys me to no end seeing people arguing about what is, and what isn't offensive, when someone has been offended or hurt, just apologise and get on with your day.
  6. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hollyx View Comment
    I was bullied when I was younger by my (at the time) best friend, and it was horrible.

When someone ever reads a post and deems it to be offensive, or hurtful, and then tells people they are offended. The better thing for the poster to do is to apologise for hurting their feelings, even if it wasn't intentional, instead of arguing that you didn't mean to be offensive.
    It annoys me to no end seeing people arguing about what is, and what isn't offensive, when someone has been offended or hurt, just apologise and get on with your day.
    Thanks for posting that Holly. What may seem offensive to someone may not seem offensive to you, but that doesn't mean it wasn't wrong to say. We all have a difference perspective. So the best response is simply to say, "I'm sorry what I said came out that way, what I really meant to say was...." and then explain what you meant so the other person can understand your perspective as well and you can go on discussing whatever the topic is.
  7. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hollyx View Comment

~I agree 100% Hollyx. It's pointless & only adds fuel to the fire when you try to explain and say otherwise, because the person is already offended and/or hurt and they have already made their mind up about it. When you try to explain instead of just apologizing and moving on you're invalidating their feelings regardless of whether you meant to or not....you're telling them, whether you know it or not, that no, they don't have the right to feel that way and you're going to explain why. The person offended will look back and remember an apology positively and as a positive, learning experience and they will appreciate it and you, but they will never remember in a positive manner an "explanation" or rationalization(because that's all it is really)of why what you said was okay and why it shouldn't have offended them. If things were really that deeply misconstrued and "muddied up", then it can always be adressed or discussed later after a period of cooling off. Thanks again Hollyx!
    Updated 04-04-2012 at 12:31 PM by draguta