Diva Chix Forums  

Go Back   Diva Chix Forums > Blogs > Auntie Parthena's Raw Nerve
Blogs FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read Experience

A variety of issues on my mind that may strike your raw nerve. I have strong opinions but I'm also open-minded. Friends who agree with everything I say and believe would be boring. I love intelligent discussion and new ideas! Feedback welcome!
Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Copycats, Clones and Voting, Oh My!

Submit "Copycats, Clones and Voting, Oh My!" to Digg Submit "Copycats, Clones and Voting, Oh My!" to del.icio.us Submit "Copycats, Clones and Voting, Oh My!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Copycats, Clones and Voting, Oh My!" to Google
Posted 11-26-2010 at 03:25 PM by parthena
Updated 11-26-2010 at 06:09 PM by parthena

Raw Nerve Alert!

The drama and immaturity around here are really getting on my last raw nerve although I'm on a constant vigil to distance myself from it. But being the "Auntie" that I am, divas often come to me for advice and away we go......Auntie is off to the races.......*wink*

First, let me say that I do identify with how we can feel when we think that someone has "copied" our outfit, despite it being said that "imitation is the most sincere form of flattery."

True story - several weeks ago, I was flabbergasted when I saw a doll not only in the same gown, but almost identical to mine in almost every way. I was sure that I had run mine first so I was also sure that someone had "copied" me and I was furious.

Thankfully, I very quickly found out who the "offending" diva was - and she just so happened to be one of my own guild sisters!

And she could not have possibly "copied" my doll because I know for a fact that she had been out of town and barely online for most of the week.

"Great minds think alike" and apparently, we do! rofl

Which raises the question:

If ten people are wearing the same "popular" item or outfit, are they "copycats," "clones," or do they just all have great taste? or think that if they're wearing the latest from a popular designer that it's an automatic win?

Because someone happens to be wearing the same type (dress, the obligatory pants and boots, etc.) outfit as you in nothing but the same colors, are they copying or do they just have similar taste?

If you're wearing an item that ten other divas are wearing, do you really have any business calling anyone a "copycat?"

Which brings up the topic of Hiding Outfit Info. Why? Do you realize that you take away from the designers when you do that? The designers have benefited a lot from my purchases due to the Outfit Info feature. I often say that "it be evil" because it makes me spend a lot of money!

And it's just plain stupid. If I want something bad enough, I WILL find it, there are ways, like Shop Wizard. And since I don't typically wear anything new when everyone else is wearing it, I can wait. If your item is exclusive, nobody will find it anyway because it will show up as "No longer available." If you've hidden your Outfit Info, you've pretty much lost my vote.

Which again brings up the concept that some people have about voting Hot or Not who say they vote on personal taste but we're not going there today.

But I will say that although the possibilities are slim to none that you can win Bingo in under three minutes, I don't care how fast your connection is, if you won in much less than 5 minutes there is a strong possibility that you never saw a single doll. When you are clicking like mad to win Bingo or golden tickets, you are not voting fairly. Period.

And when even just a handful of you are doing this, you can cause a server overload that causes problems for those who are not blessed with your superfast connection during the busy times, and some of them find that they can not vote at all because the site keeps freezing or they get booted off. I have a very fast connection and sometimes it happens to me, usually between the hours of 5 and 8 central time. I've even had my ISP come out and it continued after they checked everything and gave us a brand new modem.

I have brought this to the attention of Support and they are under the mistaken belief that they can't do anything about it. It's easy to fix - an adjustment could be made to prevent a vote until the doll has loaded.

Note that I don't care about winning Bingo - when I vote enough I get a ton of tickets anyway. The extra 25 is dust in the wind. It's what it does to the voting that really bothers me.

Keeping all this in mind, I can finally honestly say that my HON scores and battle wins or losses no longer mean anything, because it's purely a matter of luck.

As the wise molokai once told me, "It's rarely personal."

But I often ask myself why I want to play a game that obviously has no real rules and where there's not even a shadow of an "honor system." The answer is that I have many wonderful and mature friends here, I love my guild and I stay for them.

Yes, this is a game and not to be taken too seriously, but being "old school" I also feel that if you want to play with the big girls, you should act like one.
Posted in DivaChix, The Game
Views 44090 Comments 77 Edit Tags
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 77

Comments

1. Old Comment
    i hear you(:
    Posted 11-26-2010 at 04:15 PM by smileyface4ever smileyface4ever is offline
  2. Old Comment
    amen sista
  3. Old Comment
    Hallelulyer, as Madea says - *wink*

Thanks for reading, Divas!
  4. Old Comment
    i agree thanks for sharing with us
  5. Old Comment
    I've seen the outfit info button in my wardrobe, but what does it do? how do you see peoples outfit info?
    Posted 11-26-2010 at 06:29 PM by the_fabulous_killjoys the_fabulous_killjoys is offline
  6. Old Comment
    "But I often ask myself why I want to play a game that obviously has no real rules and where there's not even a shadow of an "honor system."

You know, I haven't been a member here long at all, but I find myself asking this same question a lot here lately! Actually, even before "here lately", which for a new player like me you can imagine how early on in the game that was, I was also asking this very same question, but at the time I thought that there was something that I just didn't understand yet. However, though I'm still learning, I've learned enough to know that the voting is not done fairly, that integrity is a trait seriously lacking in a good many members here and it certainly is not a trait that is valued either, and that the tactics used to gain votes or 'DOTD' or whatever it is that 'they' want are akin to outrageous child's play. And I am tired of seeing the same "ugly dolls" over and over which I have to literally sometimes click on "skip" until my fingers hurt, AND tired of the constant influx of "Vote 4 Me, "I Deserve To Win" "ads".....just tired of it.....ALREADY! Thank you for starting this thread/post! God bless!
  7. Old Comment
    I agree with everything you just said on this blog and most of the things that bother you are the reason I barely go on the mainsite anymore.
  8. Old Comment
    Speak on it my friend, speak on it...you have taken the words out of my mouth.
  9. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _PeAcE_ View Comment
    I've seen the outfit info button in my wardrobe, but what does it do? how do you see peoples outfit info?
    You have to have purchased the Outfit Info feature from coin upgrades and it's expensive, I think 300 coins - when it's busy during events like Survivor you can win a lot so that would be the time to get it.

It pops up a window that has a list of what the doll is wearing with a link directly to where to buy it - therefore, the designers get to sell more items

I think hiding it is silly because at least on my part, I'm usually only looking for one piece, usually hair or a face - I'm a face and hair addict! - and I'm going to find it soon enough so why hide it? I doubt that most people are looking to "copy" an outfit.
  10. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by draguta View Comment
    "But I often ask myself why I want to play a game that obviously has no real rules and where there's not even a shadow of an "honor system."

You know, I haven't been a member here long at all, but I find myself asking this same question a lot here lately! Actually, even before "here lately", which for a new player like me you can imagine how early on in the game that was, I was also asking this very same question, but at the time I thought that there was something that I just didn't understand yet. However, though I'm still learning, I've learned enough to know that the voting is not done fairly, that integrity is a trait seriously lacking in a good many members here and it certainly is not a trait that is valued either, and that the tactics used to gain votes or 'DOTD' or whatever it is that 'they' want are akin to outrageous child's play. And I am tired of seeing the same "ugly dolls" over and over which I have to literally sometimes click on "skip" until my fingers hurt, AND tired of the constant influx of "Vote 4 Me, "I Deserve To Win" "ads".....just tired of it.....ALREADY! Thank you for starting this thread/post! God bless!
    When I first started and lost a lot of battles I had to look at whether I was a sore loser - I think there's a bit of that in all of us.

Having been here for almost a year now, I've realized that it's a waste of energy to get upset about it - but I'm the first to admit that I still can get mad or get my feelings hurt. We're all human.

But on the days when I can blow it off and not care, that's freedom!
  11. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kapoordevika View Comment
    I agree with everything you just said on this blog and most of the things that bother you are the reason I barely go on the mainsite anymore.
    Sorry to hear that, it does take a lot to be able to blow it off and not let it get in the way of the fun.

There are still plenty of good people who don't cheat or act the fool *wink*
  12. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satindoll317 View Comment
    Speak on it my friend, speak on it...you have taken the words out of my mouth.
    Yeah, that's me, the Mouth of the South rofl

Thanks for reading and posting!
  13. Old Comment
    It happen to me once that I saw a diva with the exact outfit as mine including backgroung and the only difference was the color and hair. "Great minds think alike" or a case of Copycat? lol
  14. Old Comment
    i agree with basically EVERYTHING you said!

as a designer i especially have to agree with the bit about outfit info... when people are wearing items made by me i really appreciate that they leave their outfit info showing since it drums up business or at the least shows people who made it

when they have no outfit info showing i get a bit sad , silly i know but there it is

i also am tired of people trying to get us to vote them DOTD when most people rallying for DOTD have flat out boring or clone outfits. seriously people! give it a rest!

there is one person in particular driving me crazy at the moment lobbying for DOTD. its nothing special to recieve DOTD because it seems like anyone gets it by posting a few ads.

I think i have recieved DOTD twice but if not just the once and i did not post user ads etc. it was because people actually liked my dolly.

why do you want to be DOTD if u know it isnt due to your outfit?

its very frustrating and annoying!

il stop ranting now lol....
  15. Old Comment
    Well, ive noticed this problem. When someone gets DOTD, the next day at least 4 people recreate the same exact look. It's weird. Ive seen people mimic some of the outfits from my doll album. Which is funny. It doesnt make me mad, it makes me laugh. You have to have a sense of humor about these things, otherwise you'll be p-oed all the time.

I put one ad asking if people liked my outfit with lower case letters lol, but that was after I already had 5 votes. So It wasnt like I had no votes/and ugly outfit everyone hated and demanded people vote for me. But im sure people were like oh... this outfit belongs to her, ugh nevermind
  16. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pus View Comment
    It happen to me once that I saw a diva with the exact outfit as mine including backgroung and the only difference was the color and hair. "Great minds think alike" or a case of Copycat? lol
    That happened to me recently but the outfit was SO new that I thought there just wasn't any way she could be a "copycat," I think we just ended up picking a similar look.

But I realize that there are some people who will do that.
  17. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KissyMissy View Comment
    i agree with basically EVERYTHING you said!

as a designer i especially have to agree with the bit about outfit info... when people are wearing items made by me i really appreciate that they leave their outfit info showing since it drums up business or at the least shows people who made it

when they have no outfit info showing i get a bit sad , silly i know but there it is

i also am tired of people trying to get us to vote them DOTD when most people rallying for DOTD have flat out boring or clone outfits. seriously people! give it a rest!

there is one person in particular driving me crazy at the moment lobbying for DOTD. its nothing special to recieve DOTD because it seems like anyone gets it by posting a few ads.

I think i have recieved DOTD twice but if not just the once and i did not post user ads etc. it was because people actually liked my dolly.

why do you want to be DOTD if u know it isnt due to your outfit?

its very frustrating and annoying!

il stop ranting now lol....
    I agree, especially since if I really like something I do know how to find it. They're just making it inconvenient by hiding it.

Why so paranoid?

Oh, goodness, on the DOTD thing, today I am really restraining myself - I might have a big mouth and speak my mind, but I do draw the line at deliberately hurting anyone's feelings.

But I SO want to post "Why? Your doll is blah!" on some peoples' profiles!

and there should be a rule about how many birthdays someone can have rofl I KNOW that I gave someone who claims to have a birthday today a gift two or three months ago.
  18. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xLulubellex View Comment
    Well, ive noticed this problem. When someone gets DOTD, the next day at least 4 people recreate the same exact look. It's weird. Ive seen people mimic some of the outfits from my doll album. Which is funny. It doesnt make me mad, it makes me laugh. You have to have a sense of humor about these things, otherwise you'll be p-oed all the time.

I put one ad asking if people liked my outfit with lower case letters lol, but that was after I already had 5 votes. So It wasnt like I had no votes/and ugly outfit everyone hated and demanded people vote for me. But im sure people were like oh... this outfit belongs to her, ugh nevermind
    Ya know, it's also called "trend-setting." When I was having fun with the purple hair, I noticed a few others trying it out and I don't mind at all - except they found out it wasn't easy rofl The only reason I was able to pull it off was that I happened to luck into a dress and a background.

I agree, you have to have a sense of humor or just blow it off.

I think it's great when someone places an ad for someone else, I've done it many times. I usually don't tell them unless I really love the doll and want to ask them not to change.

But I won't place one for myself for DOTD.
  19. Old Comment
    LOL at the birthday comment Parthena

bwahahaha
  20. Old Comment
    I have placed a add for DTOD for myself once..but now if they want me to be thens I will..im not gonna beg.